NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 10th, 2019, 12:14
NAXJA Forum User

ZJ disc conversion solution!

I bought an 8.25 years ago that had had a disc conversion done.
For years I've had weak brakes and long pedal travel even after the swap.
I expected better brakes when I swapped but nothing really changed.
Fast forward quite a bit. About 65000 miles.
I've replaced my front pads twice and haven't had to do the rears once. Weird.
So I bust out the IR gun, do a drive with the pedal down a bit to ride the brakes and heat 'em up.
I stop and temp all rotors. Fronts are 160F. Rear? 55F. Ambient temp. Those ****ers arent' even touching!

I decided to switch the guts of the prop valve from a ZJ into my XJ. I lost the ZJ cap so due to the ZJ rod being shorter and producing a leak under pressure, I ONLY PUT IN THE ZJ SPRING. Kept the XJ rod, o ring and cap.

OMG NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE! I used to push the pedal down about 4 inches before I even felt braking happen. NOW it's within an inch.
Best part is now, after riding the brakes again around the block, Fronts are 160F.
Rears are 110!
It's like a totally different vehicle now and for the first time, I can lock up my wheels at speed. No more nose dives!
JUST PUT IN THE ZJ SPRING YA'LL. IT works!