• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Soooo, do i risk a divorce???

UKJeeper1

NAXJA Forum User
'79 Cherokee Chief 6 hours left on a 10 day listing, Only just scraped its way up to 205.

Bearing in mind i've just bought a '94 XJ, and am dropping coin on:

Pinion Bearings,
Outer axle bearings,
Ring and pinion,
Steering box,
and front axle seal

on my '91 YJ, do i risk extreme displeasure around the house (it'll last about 2-3 weeks) and go for it, or be all responsible and wave goodbye to one of the VERY few 2dr Chiefs available over here?

It really is a Jeep thing isn't it! :D

BTW, Just called to guy up. Asked him what his reserve is. he said 350. Asked him what he would take. he said "whatever i can get at this point".

AAARRRGGGHHH!

Beware on thing...It is a RIGHT HAND drive. Some states will not allow those vehicles to some that are outside the Mail carrier type jobs...

ALSO...Some parts in the steering catagory maybe, or are, highly difficult to obtain.

But its seems pretty cool...

Look at his username. :) Seems he would be ok with a right hand drive model. Infact, probably a good thing.

red91inWA said:
Beware on thing...It is a RIGHT HAND drive. Some states will not allow those vehicles to some that are outside the Mail carrier type jobs...

ALSO...Some parts in the steering catagory maybe, or are, highly difficult to obtain.

But its seems pretty cool...

Glenn said:
Look at his username. :) Seems he would be ok with a right hand drive model. Infact, probably a good thing.

Minor oversight. I perceive the shipping from Portsmouth, New Hampshire to be cost prohibitive though.

Item location: Portsmouth, Hampshire
United Kingdom
:D

red91inWA said:
Minor oversight. I perceive the shipping from Portsmouth, New Hampshire to be cost prohibitive though.

Here is the trick. Just go through your garage and sell all the spare parts to earn some money. That helps, but having the shop clean will also go a long way with the misses.

red91inWA said:

Not to hijack, but could you fill me in on this? Never heard of that before.

And UKJeeper... Yes, you should buy it. After getting something nice for your wife, of course ;)

casm said:
Not to hijack, but could you fill me in on this? Never heard of that before.

Some states are very particular as to WHO can actually pilot a RH drive vehicle. I've seen a couple of buddies buy subarus that were RH drive.

AFTER fixing the vehicle, body wise, they took it in for inspection only to be told that they couldn't use them.

As to WHY I don't know. I saw an older olds wagon (mid 60's) that was right hand drive on the freeway about a month ago. Had to look twice.

I used to export camaros to Austrailia about 6 years ago in the wrecking business. And they would actually go to all of the effort to convert them to RH drive, since its all that Country would allow for street use.

The things are Gov tells us are for the best have got to be some of the stupidist things I've heard.

red91inWA said:
The things are Gov tells us are for the best have got to be some of the stupidist things I've heard.

Yeah... And bizarrely enough, despite their love of micromanaging every aspect of life here in CA, they don't seem to care - I think that's why I was surprised to hear that other states would regulate it.

OK, back to the regularly-scheduled thread.

So a 94 XJ
A 91 YJ
and a 79 Cheif?

I don't know about your lady but I know I'd never hear the end of it til the number of projects fell down to 2.... no matter what lovely thing I got for her.. (within reason)

Is either the YJ or the XJ your wife's?

And do you have room to store all of them without your place looking like a car lot?

the length of the torture will be significantly shorter if she doesn't have to see it...

If I were you???

Buy the Cheif for it's rarity and cool factor
Sell the YJ before dropping the coin to fix those things, or fix them and sell it for more.

But that all depends on your dedication to the YJ...

Personally I'd rather have the XJ and the cheif of the three options..

twojeeps.jpg

The XJ is hers, we bought it recently as my YJ (previously our only car and DD) was covered in mud every monday morning ;) and she had to use it (i take the train). Its got the room for the groceries and misc kids she's asked for since we got here 2 years ago (she had a '02 Tahoe in CA). Comfortable, and with the propane, economical.

We have the space, not even an issue. I can also keep it at another location gratis.

SELL THE YJ !?!?!?!?!?!?!

Quick, pass me the defibrilator....

OK, i'm back. No way. The YJ came back with us from CA. The list of goodies on it cannot easily be replaced. SOA, ARB, Teralow 4:1, etc. Not gonna happen. Its who i am.

I want this freakin uneconomical, gas guzzling, 26 year clunker. No way to understand it (it really is a Jeep Thing ;) ). I just have to get it past her.

Ah ha...

I didn't realise the YJ had such sentimental value.. It's pretty nice looking and seems to have a laundry list of goodies!

I had a Stock YJ in my head so I went with the ones I'd Keep stock for stock if faced with a choice...

Hell the XJ is hers...

As far as I'm concerned you only have one rig as of now... that leaves an open spot for a Gas guzzling mound of personality... Go for it...

Stow it someplace out of site for a little while and spend your $$ sparingly at first to avoid it becoming viewed as the new money pit...

If you got room... and the $$ for it... and one of the Jeeps is hers...might as well get it...

I would determine how much she likes off roading. Then ask her. With her first noises, you can determine if she would forgive you or not.

Back