• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon pics from this weekend

Capt. Nemo

NAXJA Member #904
This is the earliest in the year I've been on the trail, and it was a bit more challenging than going after the Jeep Jamboree has been through. In addition, there was a ton of water crossings - particularly on the way out to Tahoe after Cadallic Hill. There was hardly anyone on the trail and we had a blast. Plan on bringing a lot of bug spray, the mosquitos were out with a vengence... Alright, now for the pics-

Here's fellow NAXJAer, Denis, on the slabs.
D_on_Slabs.jpg

Here I am at the Soup Bowl. Denis threw in a couple of rocks and I was able to make it up and over.
soup_bowl.jpg

And here I am coming back for a second try, but a different line that some refer to as the "soup kitchen". Well, I christened the rig on its maiden voyage...
underside.jpg

Here's another angle. The damage wasn't too bad. Broken windshield, broken mirror, broken rear glass, dented roof, dented front and rear door, crunched fender, bent hood, bent A pillar...
on_side.jpg

Rubicon Springs
Rubicon_Springs.jpg

Here's at the Big Sluice
Big_Sluice.jpg

The rig did great. Made my old CJ look silly. The auto tranny made me feel like I was cheating, but was perfect with the 4.88's. Can't wait to get back out!

Nice pics!
Hmmm, Soup Kitchen, I haven't tried that line and now it looks like I won't. ;)

Jes

nice pics! cant wait to get all my stuff done and go out myself (sucks to be stuck in iraq!) Have fun fixin the jeep;)

Kris

Got to watch out for the kitchen......

CRASH

Dang that brutal man. Looks like an awesome time though. Too bad for the roll bet that one made piss afterwards. Well how much lift you got 4.5???. I need to get out west and go wheelin. Here in the south yu got tellico but after a while it gets pretty old. Well looks like fun and nice pics.

RubiconExp.XJ said:
Dang that brutal man. Looks like an awesome time though. Too bad for the roll bet that one made piss afterwards. Well how much lift you got 4.5???. I need to get out west and go wheelin. Here in the south yu got tellico but after a while it gets pretty old. Well looks like fun and nice pics.

Big rocks make lifts and tire look very small. I believe it's the Full Traction 6". Maybe 35's.

I'm running 35's. FT's 6" long arm with modified shackles in the rear for about 7.5" lift (in the rear). I'm not too bummed about it, I just wasn't expecting it to happen so soon. I was expecting some bumps and scrapes, but a full on sider wasn't in the plans till at least the second time out. Oh, well. Still runs and drives fine :)

were the 2 pictures following the flop taken after the flop? if so the damage doesnt' look too bad, I'm still wondering when my first flop will be. I took my truck out for it's first run in current form yesterday also, but to Fordyce. I agree, 4.88s, auto and 35s make things SO much easier, especially with a locker. There are pics of my trip at the link in my sig

BrettM said:
were the 2 pictures following the flop taken after the flop? if so the damage doesnt' look too bad, I'm still wondering when my first flop will be. I took my truck out for it's first run in current form yesterday also, but to Fordyce. I agree, 4.88s, auto and 35s make things SO much easier, especially with a locker. There are pics of my trip at the link in my sig

Yeh, the pics are in chronological order. I admit, the damage could have been much worse. The only thing I need to jump on is the rear window. Since this is my daily, I need to have a little security. It's funny to see the looks on peoples faces as I drive by with my wife in the Jeep. She keeps on asking me why people are staring at us, and I just smile at her...

Hey, do you need the passenger side rear window? I have an old 89 XJ that is destined for the junkyard that has a few good pieces on it still. Let me know if you need one.

I heard you have been going by Happy Daze diner on Wednesday nights, maybe we can meet there if you need the window.

Bryan

Oh man, that's crazy. There's nothin there that won't buff out...

The previous owner of my xj had a little too much fun with it before I got it, so I'm just putting Durabak to the exterior. This should be tough against the rocks and hid alot of the damage, constant Cali pin-stripping. Who cares, my rig is for function, not looks. :guitar:
Troy

Bryan C. said:
I heard you have been going by Happy Daze diner on Wednesday nights.
Yeah Capt. Nemo, are you comming out Wednesday?
I really want to see your rig now.

Great photos looks like too much fun!

Jees, is this the "line" you were trying? Doesn't even look like part of the trail.

scott.jpg

Amen brother, I just put it on its side a couple of weeks ago...popunded it out replaced the glass and drive it till it :explosion
So I guess will see you at loon lake thursday evening?

steinjeep said:
The previous owner of my xj had a little too much fun with it before I got it, so I'm just putting Durabak to the exterior. This should be tough against the rocks and hid alot of the damage, constant Cali pin-stripping. Who cares, my rig is for function, not looks. :guitar:
Troy

Last edited:
Bryan C.-I could use the rear glass!

I'll try to be at the Diner on Wednesday. If I'm there, I will be early- around 6. My folks are flying in from Ohio that night. Which brings up that I will not be joining you all for the June Rubicon run. I'm bummed about that, but my folks will still be here.

I'll see about getting it out tomorrow night to bring down on Wednesday. Not sure what time I will be there though, but it should be around 7:00 at the latest.

Bryan

I should be at Happy Dayz for most of the night and if it is cool with the 2 of you I can get from Bryan C. and get to Capt. Nemo. (if he leaves before B.C. gets there)

Capt. lives close to me and Kernel and he can get it from me any day of the week.

Also what was so hard about that line this guy made it

AssWheels.jpg

Sorry for the bad photoshop the evil TJ made me do it!

Yeah right, like that could really happen. Nice ghetto rims.

Back