• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unbreakable Windshield??

I'm tired of replacing windshields all the time, especially after "eating" yet another rock.

Does anyone know of a source for an unbreakable windshield?
Has anyone had any experience with any of the clear windshield overlays?

Clear overlay systems I saw at the recent SEMA show in Las Vegas:
http://www.clearplex.com/
http://www.prolinestyling.com/windsh...hure_small.pdf
progress.gif

I was able to locate some companies that make Lexan SAR II windshields ( http://www.polyshields.com/main.html - for the YJ, TJ, LJ, & JK they are reasonably priced at only $199!). They said that there is not enough of a demand for XJ windows to begin fabricating them - and apparently fabricating curved windows are a hassle. They could provide a flat windshield - but I don't see how this would work.

Has anyone tried this - tried to install a flat piece of plastic as a windshield?

Another manufacturer of racing windows would manufacture them if a 4X4 dealer/distributor would commit to a minimum order to justify making a mold/jig.

http://www.percyshp.com/SpeedGlass.html

So, I'm looking for anyone's feedback regarding experiences with glass overlay film.

:chef:Or, maybe one of you distributors/dealers would like to start carrying an exclusive product that would save your fellow XJ members hundred's of thousands of dollars & many headaches!

An "unbreakable" windshield just sounds like a bad idea safety wise.

I don't get it, what are you doing that keeps breaking your windshield? I've not had any problems keeping mine intact offroad.

And I don't see anyway a plastic windshield will be able to save us "hundreds of thousands of dollards?" Sorry, but windshields just aren't that expensive.

I'd say go with one of those overlays. Now that I know they exist, I may even go that route whenever I replace one of my vehicles windshields. I think ever vehicle I own could use one at the moment.

I wouldn't trust a plastic windshield. Watch the Mythbusters where they try to put a surfboard through a windshield, I like the thought of that protection in front of me.

The overlay is interesting. Curious about cost and longevity- I get free repair/replacement through my insurance, so it wouldn't really be a money saver for me. It would be better than having to park the Jeep for a day though, assuming it lasts longer than the 12mo warranty.

My first XJ received a bullseye from a rock on the highway. The next one, which is what I'm driving now received a bullseye not even a month after I got it. esterday, while driving past a salt truck, the bullseye now has a crack from the bottom heading to the top. I'm liking the overlay idea.

It might not be cheap but I have seen Level IV glass on an XJ...

I Hate Windsheilds. I just broke the windsheild in my xj for the first time and I didn't see it till later when there were some cracks coming from the far corner of it so I didn't know if it was a branch or force of wheeling. My dad broke his windsheild in his brand new car about twice and had to replace the one in the rental he used for 2 days. My moms car had a spider crack and autoglass or something filled it and then it came back and spread. Also my friend got a brand new windsheild for his 81 fsj xj and then broke it while repairing floor rust hammering on something.

After a dump truck kicked up a rock and broke mine last year I just steer clear of them whenever I can, when I see one in front of me I either change lanes to get as far away from them as possible or just pull over and let someone else in between me and the truck, not very nice but better them than me. :)

An "unbreakable" windshield just sounds like a bad idea safety wise. QUOTE]

How does that even make sense?

OP...Check out this link

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1018194

I installed Marguard #10. 1/4" thick. I shot a spare piece with a .22 and it didn't penetrate through half of it.

As far as legalities on the road, I highly doubt it is. (But I'm in Alabama, where I run beadlocks and no license plate and no mirrors on the road.) I don't run wipers either, I heard the constant motion (not scratches it) but fogs it up.

In addition, I just remove it when summer comes and install the sun visor and wind deflector in the same holes.

OP...if you have any other ?'s pm me.

Lexan SAR (a scratch resistant acrylic) has been used in teller booths, gas stations & jewelry store displays for years. It is virtually unbreakable (more so that "DOT Safety Glass"). My BMW 7-Series has this very same "glass" installed from the factory and it is DOT approved. Therefore it cannot be inherently "unsafe." This is also the same material currently used in airliner cockpit windshields.

The DOT approval (like UL) only comes after the manufacturer/fabricator pays for some extensive and expensive testing. That's why most just declare that their product is not DOT approved. Most of my friends are policemen (LAPD, SJPD, SFPD & Calif. Highway Patrol Officers)... and everyone I asked said that they've NEVER heard of any cop looking for or at a "DOT" logo on any auto glass. And, there's no way for them to verify that a silkscreened logo or logo decal on the inside of the glass is not genuine! There's no master list that they have access to to cross check or verify. So there's nothing to prevent you from adding one of your own logos later!

If I was in an accident where I needed to be extricated from the vehicle, though the window could not be shattered by one of the fireman's window punch, it could be easily pried from the frame around the rubber moulding. Most firemen relish the opportunity to cut up someone's car... My BMW has a notice on all of the glass it is unbreakable. The firemen could just pop out the glass in one piece instead. And, since the windshield will always stay intact in one piece (due to the coatings on both sides) it is more likely to pop out in a severe accident if the window frame or car body is torqued or twisted badly.

As for breaking windshields, I have received bulls-eyes, pits, and cracks mostly from the on-road driving in areas where the roads are seeded with cinder (small rocks that assist in traction in icy conditions). This is the 4th winter in a row that a truck going the opposite direction sprayed my jeep with cinder, cracking the windshield.

BTW: The replacement cost of the BMW windshield... $3,500! [it is photo-sensitive (changes tinting levels based upon sun brightness) and it has a lot of built in sensors (rain sensor, antenna, heated glass)]. I hope that it NEVER needs replacement!

I'm looking to spend no more than $500 on the Jeep. I've spent $6-700 over the past years already! So at this rate of replacement, over the life of my Jeep I WILL SAVE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!

I am looking for anyone that has any experience with these overlay products or a replacement Lexan windshield (even if a racing window) that can be installed with the OEM rubber weatherstripping.

Last edited:
I know this is OT, but in florida (probably other states too), its required by law that you get one free windshield replacement a year if you have full coverage insurance. Does that cover something like a $3500 OEM windshield?

I've been through 4 windshields in 3 years on my xj. I'm a semi professional snowboarder and the moutain shit just trashes my windows. I have a winshield right now that's less than a year old and it has 7 serious rock chips and is cracked every where.

Is anyone here running the overlay? I'm tried of replacing windshields! In Alberta your luck to make it 2 months before your windshield is all cracked up from all the gravel they use on the road.

I looked at the BMW manual... it is actually laminated glass with an additional film on the inside. That explains why I do have some pitting on the windshield. Most luxury sedans offer this type of glass (MBZ, Audi, BMW, etc.). It is marketed as vandal resistant, sound proof, thermal or insulated glass. It's not bulletproof, but the manual says that it'll thwart a baseball bat or crowbar attacks without any shard of glass separating inside the vehicle.

The film on the surfaces BMW window is holding up great.

Still looking for someone who's using the aftermarket film on the OUTSIDE of the windshield. I need to get my windshield replaced and that's the perfect time to get the protective film installed.

I used a piece of lexan for the quarter glass in my jeep and it worked great for that. after a wheeling trip the rain gutter got bent to the point that i came not put a piece of glass back in it. I just got a piece of lexan the same thickness as the OEM window trace and cut put it back in with the original rubber seal and it works great. It flex just enough that it went back in like original if you look at it close you can see the bow and tell its not glass not a concern to me.

https://www.racingoptics.com/industries/windshielddefense/

I ran across this vendor out of Vegas at the Winter 4x4 Jamboree last weekend in Sand Hollow. It's a laminated windshield film stack that works like goggle 'tear-offs". They shared that their product team fired a 3/4" steel ball at 75mph at a JK windshield sporting their protective film and the windshield experienced zero damage. They also run abrasion test with 2000 grit sandpaper to simulate sand/road grime being moved across the windshield by the wipers.

They currently offer a solution for Wrangler's, stating that shields for flat windshields are easier to manufacture. They shared that Racing Optics will be producing a 3 layer film solution for XJ's in April '23. They state that each layer (3 total) is good for at least one year of normal driving.
Price point is approx $280.00

Last edited:
Back