• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Super-ride "add a leaf" kit VS

Xjin85

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to buy a RE lift kit but am torn between which to buy.

Rubicon Express 3.5 super-ride Suspension System with ADD A LEAF option VS the Rubicon Express 3.5 Super-ride suspenion sysyem with LEAF SPRINGS

Since I will be spending the money on a RE lift kit anyways, I'd rather spend the extra $200 bucks on the RE "Extreme Duty" leaves if it's really worth it. But I'm just not sure what to compare or base what the real benefit would be from buying new leaf springs vs "add a leaf"...

This summer I plan to buy a steel bumper and roof rack and I am unsure how this will affect the height of my lift if I use the existing spring vs the new leaf's option.

What do you think?
Would the "add-a-leaf" option be enough to maintain the 3.5-inch lift with the added weight from the bumper and roof rack? Or would it be better to go the new "Extreme Duty" leaf kit?

If your leaves are badly rusted, or if your leaves are badly sagging, or if the leaf bushings are toast, then add-a-leaf doesn't make sense. I have no idea if the RE add-a-leaf will make the rear suspension stiffer, but I do know that the RE 3.5 leaf pack is pretty stiff. Maybe with a thick metal bumper and a rear mounted spare, the RE leaves would ride smoother, but I wouldn't bet on it.

My rec would be to go with the IRO 3" lift with their full leaf pack. Their leaf pack is known to ride well, and their kit is substantially more complete. Includes upper and lower adjustable control arms with new bushings, and it comes with a double-shear track bar system. But of course it is more expensive.

I am about to buy a RE lift kit but am torn between which to buy.

Rubicon Express 3.5 super-ride Suspension System with ADD A LEAF option VS the Rubicon Express 3.5 Super-ride suspenion sysyem with LEAF SPRINGS

Since I will be spending the money on a RE lift kit anyways, I'd rather spend the extra $200 bucks on the RE "Extreme Duty" leaves if it's really worth it. But I'm just not sure what to compare or base what the real benefit would be from buying new leaf springs vs "add a leaf"...

This summer I plan to buy a steel bumper and roof rack and I am unsure how this will affect the height of my lift if I use the existing spring vs the new leaf's option.

What do you think?
Would the "add-a-leaf" option be enough to maintain the 3.5-inch lift with the added weight from the bumper and roof rack? Or would it be better to go the new "Extreme Duty" leaf kit?

If you can swing it, I'd look at other lift kits, especially long arms. If you can afford it, try going with a true 3 or 4 link long arm kit. I've researched many kits and manufacturing when building my 3 XJ's. I know enough to be dangerous. :laugh:

From my actual experience, Iron Rock Off Road's 3 link is great. I run the IRO's 3 link on my 99, and it is great. IRO's leaf springs are excellent, too. Clayton's 3 link are really good, too.

The TNT radius long arms are really good too. Well built and a great cross-member. They use RE leafs in their kits, or at least they used to.

Sometimes it's better to piece together a kit from different companies.

In my opinion, RE is not bad, but their leaf springs are shit. I've ran them on 2 of my XJ's, and both rode like crap. They give you a shitty shackle angle and are stiff as a rock. You have to use shackle relocation brackets to get a good shackle angle. I would not do add-a-leafs. Buy decent full leaf packs. I'm not a fan of short arm lifts, but they do work if you're not going up too high.

You'll get lots of different opinions on lift kits. Do some research, ask questions, and it's better to wait and save up money for a better kit, if you can. Just be careful who you listen to and take any advice, including mine, with a grain of salt. Jeep guys are often notoriously cheap, and you get what you pay for.

If you can swing it, I'd look at other lift kits, especially long arms. If you can afford it, try going with a true 3 or 4 link long arm kit. I've researched many kits and manufacturing when building my 3 XJ's. I know enough to be dangerous. :laugh:

From my actual experience, Iron Rock Off Road's 3 link is great. I run the IRO's 3 link on my 99, and it is great. IRO's leaf springs are excellent, too. Clayton's 3 link are really good, too.

The TNT radius long arms are really good too. Well built and a great cross-member. They use RE leafs in their kits, or at least they used to.

Sometimes it's better to piece together a kit from different companies.

In my opinion, RE is not bad, but their leaf springs are shit. I've ran them on 2 of my XJ's, and both rode like crap. They give you a shitty shackle angle and are stiff as a rock. You have to use shackle relocation brackets to get a good shackle angle. I would not do add-a-leafs. Buy decent full leaf packs. I'm not a fan of short arm lifts, but they do work if you're not going up too high.

You'll get lots of different opinions on lift kits. Do some research, ask questions, and it's better to wait and save up money for a better kit, if you can. Just be careful who you listen to and take any advice, including mine, with a grain of salt. Jeep guys are often notoriously cheap, and you get what you pay for.

Thanks man for your repsonce! I am about to send you a PM!

Your budget will help you decide. I ran the RE full length AAL on my XJ for about 6 years. This included daily driving, lots of local 4x4 trips, and several 4x4 trips in central Colorado and Moab. Suspension performance off-road was very good. The AAL works well and had an acceptable road ride.

When I Lifted to 5.5" I used the RE 3.5" leaf pack and extended shackles. Off-road performance improved a bit, and the road ride is acceptable. The removed AAL was installed into another one of my XJ fleet for daily driving use.

Rough riding lifts are very often the result of cheap lift kit parts, and a poor choice of shocks. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Back