• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeeps Can Lead to Divorce..

My last g/f and I broke up over my jeep. We had other issues, but the jeep was the core of every fight.

In the early 2000's I had a girl who was not only into my wheeling, she would as surprises for me track down new old stock and repro interior and trim parts for my '62 F100 4x4. I shoulda married that one..

A man came home from work, sat down in his favorite chair, turned on the TV, and said to his wife, "Quick, get me a beer before it starts."

She looked a little puzzled but brought him the beer. When he finished it, he said, "Quick, bring me another beer. It's gonna start soon."

This time she looked a little angry, but brought him another beer.

When it was gone, he said, "Quick, one more beer before it starts."

"That's it!" She blows her top! "You bastard! You waltz in here, flop your fat ass down, don't even say 'hello' to me and then expect me to run around like your slave. Don't you realize that I cook and clean and wash and iron all day long?"

The husband sighed, "Oh <POOPIE>, it's started."

hahah true that... when my girl starts I usually say "ok here we goooooo!" & that just makes her more pissed. Its the I didnt do anything but Im about to get it and I know it phrase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny the wife was always the Jeep person, I always had my Dodges. Her hobbies are driving, shopping and talking on the phone. Mine are wrenching, hunting and my dogs.
It all works out, she has a well maintained Jeep, she even got me to give up my Dodges and get a Jeep. I talk to the dogs and she gossips with her girlfriends.
Our main area of contention is the house. Before we got married I told her I don't do house painting. Our 30th aniversary is coming up the 20th of this month (Hitlers birthday, which helps me remember the aniversary :) ).
I've been painting the house. almost constantly, for 30 years, pretty much a marathon renovation. In exchange for her not complaining about my hunting trips and dogs. It's all about compromise.
Though she usually manages to find a whole plethora of other things to complain about.
She detests my beard, I always tell her if God intended for me to have a naked face he would have given me tits. I keep my beard and she has something to complain about and fill up an otherwise empty life. :)

I love my wife, and my wife loves me.
She knows that I enjoy working on my jeep as much a she likes "scrap booking" or decorating the house.
But there are times when she really wants time, and not time of sitting at a dinner or driving to the store, but she likes to play board games, cards, talk, listen.
stuff that is very foreign to me..
but something as simple as a Thursday night TV night, has made my wife happy to just sit on the couch and talk about "the office" or "3d rock"

also she knows my jeep is my hobby, not just a means of transportation.

Well said!

After I got mine, my son got his TJ, my daughter got her TJ I got her a ZJ. She complains no more, does not even bat an eye when I grab 8 5 quart jugs of Mobil-1 and oil filters, she even pays for it. She knew I hated working on her Dodge Aries and her Oldsmobile, now I keep her ZJ up to snuff and it's all good. Not to mention she actually loves the Jeeps, all of them. She knows I want a 4 door wrangler and says 'whenever you want it go for it' I know we can't afford it right now so she's safe :D :D :D But she did find me a nice dual top 98 Sahara on craigslist that I want to go look at this weekend down in NJ.

After I got mine, my son got his TJ, my daughter got her TJ I got her a ZJ. She complains no more, does not even bat an eye when I grab 8 5 quart jugs of Mobil-1 and oil filters, she even pays for it. She knew I hated working on her Dodge Aries and her Oldsmobile, now I keep her ZJ up to snuff and it's all good. Not to mention she actually loves the Jeeps, all of them. She knows I want a 4 door wrangler and says 'whenever you want it go for it' I know we can't afford it right now so she's safe :D :D :D But she did find me a nice dual top 98 Sahara on craigslist that I want to go look at this weekend down in NJ.

yeah, I am trying to work out the death wobble from the '98 I got for her.. er I mean my '98 that she will be allowed to drive...:shhh:

Thanks for the replies guys, have been very helpful. I working to help her understand the hobby. She has said before that "normal people have two cars, one for each person, and they don't have to work on them all the time."

I have a Jeep and a 4th Gen Camaro, one of the reasons I bought the jeep is so I would have something to drive while I'm repainting my camaro.. when you have old vehicles with a lot of miles.. you need two of them heh.. and if your luckily at least one of them will always be operable.

Just tell her this; "your right honey, I spend too much time and money in the garage, I guess I will just go out with the boys to the strip club tonight"

Suddenly it won’t seem so bad

Just tell her that wrenching and wheeling are as natural to you as shopping and crying are to her :D

For a lot of folks, working on vehicles at home is therapeutic; allows them to unwire from the days headaches and relax with something which pays dividends to perhaps noone but that person. She should accept you as is because your next therapy session could be finding a woman who understands you better and does accept you.

I suppose she could offer to buy you a tricked out KJ and pay for kick boxing lessons, but thats not the same is it?

Last edited:
Anyone else get in fights with their wives over how much time and money they spend on their jeep? I've actually spent very little on my Jeep, under $1k, including what I paid for it.. and I still get grief over it. Another touchy subject is how much time I spend working on it.. even if its only a hour or so a day... Because it takes time, and attention away from her. She is always trying to get me to sell it and get a new car that "works." I try to explain to her that she is angry over the $1k I have invested in this Jeep over the course of a year, I don't understand how she won't mind spending $750 a month on a car payment. On a vehicle that will loose half it's value in now time.. at least my jeep started out with no value :).

Jeeps cannot lead to divorce... period. I have been giving counsel to couples for over 13 years and have myself been married for 26 years to the love of my youth and no other. There has not been a divorce in my family since my parent's wedding day over 64 years ago (they are still alive and more in love than ever). We have fought over the Jeep, but there is always some other issue that is really the core issue. The points you make are valid and your wife is undoubtedly not stupid. She also knows that you enjoy it and probably loves you enough to want you to have some joy in life. There is something else going on... you need to get to the bottom of that. Try responding to the next Jeep argument with, "I know you are really not upset about the Jeep... it is way cheaper for us than a car payment, what is really bothering you? Can we talk about it?" Remember God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason... to listen twice as much as we talk.

Jeeps cannot lead to divorce... period. I have been giving counsel to couples for over 13 years and have myself been married for 26 years to the love of my youth and no other. There has not been a divorce in my family since my parent's wedding day over 64 years ago (they are still alive and more in love than ever). We have fought over the Jeep, but there is always some other issue that is really the core issue. The points you make are valid and your wife is undoubtedly not stupid. She also knows that you enjoy it and probably loves you enough to want you to have some joy in life. There is something else going on... you need to get to the bottom of that. Try responding to the next Jeep argument with, "I know you are really not upset about the Jeep... it is way cheaper for us than a car payment, what is really bothering you? Can we talk about it?" Remember God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason... to listen twice as much as we talk.

That about sums it up! :)

the look i got from the gf today explaining what a snorkel does... i think anyone with a girl who doesnt wheel or really know what happens while "jeeping" would know the look..

Shes been off road once and doesn't like it, no problem with that I sometimes think itd be weird to have a girl who was into modifying/beating on it with me. Two and a half years weve been together and she saw me get the jeep... do the 3 inch 31 stage for awhile and then right to the 5 inch 33 long arm stage.. now snorkle and some kind of roof basket.. still get the look but she sees how happy I am so she likes it.

Thanks for the excellent advice.

Well i'm in the same boat as the rest of you guys. My current ex-g/f of 2 years loves my LJ, but hates my XJ. She calls my XJ, "the ugly Jeep" little does she know that it really does hurt my feelings. My XJ was my first vehicle, and to this day my pride and joy. Since i've gotten my LJ i've been able to do things that I've always wanted to do, like strip the interior and cut off the top. I've been fiddling with it for over 2 years now, without having it licensed and inspected. Like a previous poster said earlier, "it's therapeutic" it really is. I love doing stuff to my XJ. I can lay underneath it and look at my front suspension until I fall asleep underneath it. So yeah, we fight about it all the time. "You pick your Jeeps over me", "Why do you work on it, it doesn't even work." "You spend more time with your ugly Jeep than me". She's so clingy and jealous, I don't know how to deal with it. I have to hear that stuff all the time. Some of you guys are really lucky to have understanding g/f's.

My girl likes to go out wheeling with me.

She hates wheeling campsites though due to bro's and lack of bathrooms.

I need to get an RV

Some of you guys are really lucky to have understanding g/f's.

No they just didn't settle.

My girl likes to go out wheeling with me.

She hates wheeling campsites though due to bro's and lack of bathrooms.

I need to get an RV

This is the first post of a ligament reason for one of y'all's girls to dislike Jeepin.

Back