• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plugging the AT lines in replacement radiator

Gold Cobra

NAXJA Forum User
Maybe this is a dumb question. How do I go about plugging the lines for the AT cooler? I'm running the ax-15.

I have an AW4 Automatic and use an External 40,000 GW Cooler.

I just left the Caps on the Radiator when I installed it.

My radiator is slightly used, and i dont have the caps.

Plug them with a Bung or A Synthetic Cork. It will not hurt the Radiator.

do they even really need to be plugged?

Nope.

I don't "think" I would use them for an OIL cooler. Trans fluid needs to be kept warm as much as cooled down. That's why it goes through the radiator, warmed in winter, cooled in summer.
Engine oil can benefit from cooling and the extra oil capacity of an external cooler.

Last time I replaced a radiator I also worried about those two 'open' lines. Cap them to keep the mud out if you like, remember they keep the trans fluid separate from the coolant. No A.T., no use.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't think about warming Automatic Transmission Fluid. I don't think about Winters up North at all. It's always Warm or Hot here in Tampa and I am always thinking of ways to cool as much of the Engine and Transmission as possible.

Back