• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd starting issue

biggman100

NAXJA Forum User
This is actually for a friend, so, i will post what i can about his vehicle. It is a 2002 XL 4.0 Auto. It seemed to have a bad CKP, so, i replaced it with a new one, and then, sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldnt, unless i moved the CKP a bit, and then, if it starts, it will run fine, unless i shut it off, then i have to go through the whole, turn the CKP while he cranks it, until i find the spot it wants to be at to run until the next time. Each time i start it, the CKP always seems to end up pointing a little different than before, Sometimes, it works if i move it closer to the block, other times, it works if i move it away from the engine block, and is never consistent. I was thinking either a bad new CKP, or timing chain stretch, maybe. It has over 150k on it, and i dont know if the chain has ever been done. Tomorrow, im gonna pull the CKP from my XJ, a 2001 4.0 auto, that i know runs fine and see what it does with mine in his. Any other ideas you guys might have that i can try would be greatly appreciated, since we have had it at the shop i work at for 2 weeks now, and none of the 3 of us can figure it out.

I should stop posting things when im tired. I actually replaced the CPS, not the CKP. Sorry for the mixup. Today, i indexed the cam sensor, and it started several times, but, after it ran a bit, and warmed up, it started, but was extremely hard to get started. Once it starts though, it seems to run fine. Im gonna let it sit overnight, and try it again in the morning and see what it does.

for troubleshooting I allways start with the basics.
plugs
wires
cap
rotor
it is easy to check for timing chain stretch
first take off the distributor cap
put a wrench on the cranl puller nut and turn the engine a little mabe 1/8 turn.. untill the rotor moves a little. then turn the crank the other way.. watch carefully & see how far you have to rotate the crankshaft before the rotor starts to move

This one turned out to be a bad CKP. Now i just need to figure out the other one im beyond lost on, which i will make a new post for.

Back