• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where are you guys mounting your fire extinguishers?

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
I REALLY need to get one, but am up in the air about refillable vs. non-refillable, and how large, etc. I've been looking at the small 2lb kiddie non rechargeable but have also been thinking about a 5lb rechargeable...

So what are you running and where are you mounting them?

5 lb rechargeable Kidd BC extinguisher mounted right at the left side seat base on my driver's seat, and a 5 lb Kidd ABC extinguisher mounted to the passenger rear wheel well (accessible from the back hatch). The one by the seat is for engine fires, and the one in the back is for anything else I may stumble upon.

crazyjim said:
really the 5lb will fit there? Do you have any shots of it? I wouldn't imagine there being a whole lot of room there.

Having two is a good idea though.

Give me a minute, I'll go take one right now.

mine is mounted where the spare tire mount is, never thought about engine fires.. maybe i should mount a second one up front somewhere! :doh:

engine fires dont happen to jeeps. Its not like they ran all the intake, fuel liines and exhaust all on the same side in a small confined area. haha

opvars.jpg

10z4adj.jpg
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=10z4adj&s=3

The pictures doesn't show it, but the mount holds the extinguisher in two places, one at the top and one in the middle. I just used some self tapping screws to mount it to the seat base. It's been there for almost four years, and has never come lose when wheeling. I've used it once (car fire on the interstate) and had it refilled.

The one thing to remember no matter where you mount your extinguisher is to take it out once every six months and smack the bottom with a rubber mallet until you can hear the powder moving around. Otherwise it cakes into a ball and the extinguisher is inoperable.

I've got a small one (2lb I think) mounted in the cubby on the rt side of the cargo area. came with its own holster that I screwed into the plastic.

I pulled the plastic trim off of the side of the seat and wedged it there. It fits perfectly and is tight enough I don't need a mount.

HPIM1145.jpg

Have you actually used a fire extinguisher on an engine fire? I have - I learned that you can pop the hood from the in-cab lever (before everything melts too much), but then you have to release the second catch at the front of the hood. Not good. The heat is all right there. I now carry a set of heavy leather work gloves with my extinguisher, to get at that hood release.

Thought I would update this post with a new mount I got. I am very happy with it.
Jeep140.jpg

Jeep141.jpg

I backed the panel with a plate. It should hold up until I gut the interior.
smiley-channel_de_fahrzeug081.gif

Back