• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what CR do you have to run 91 octane

mjdriver

NAXJA Member #1376
I searched didn't find what I was looking for.

stock 4.0 is 8.8:1 right could I go up to a 9.2 Compression Ratio and run 87 octane or maybe 89. I am planning my stoker build, this is on a renix motor so it has a knock sensor.

thanks

mjdriver said:

stock 4.0 is 8.8:1 right could I go up to a 9.2 Compression Ratio and run 87 octane or maybe 89. I am planning my stoker build, this is on a renix motor so it has a knock sensor.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You couldn't find a direct answer because there is two many variables as to whether, "X" compression will ping......

If you live at sea level........and want to run 87, better stick with 8.8 (for a stroker you will have to by a custom piston to keep the compression that low).......unless you put a bigger cam in it..........static compression will not be changed (8.8) but the dynamic compression will be lower by the bigger cam.

If you live at a high altitude......You can get away with more compression and run on 87 (thinner air......less to compress.)

The knock sensor is grate if you make a small mistake in compression ratio, but............you will make more power, with less compression, and no timing retarding, by the knock sensor then you will with higher compression, and the knock sensor retarding the timing, to keep it form Knocking!

With out a knock sensor (HO 4.0L) You have no choose but to run a higher grade of fuel.

the Knock sensor is a +.... but is is only a bandage if you mis the compression.

MY RULE OF THUMB (Have no real world data to back it up but...) is if your at see level, and have a performance cam,.......don't go above 9.4!

If you live at say 7000+ feet You might make it to 9.7--- 10.0 (with a performance cam) with out ping but i don't thing you will be running the 87 octane fuel.

And if you quench # is high,... then the above numbers my need to be a little bit lower.

Flash.

mjdriver said:

thanks

My '92 4.6 stroker has a 9.25:1 CR and runs year round (even in mid summer when it's 120*F) on 91 octane without pinging. They've recently introduced 87 octane over here but I haven't tried that in the Jeep yet.

BBeach said:
It's Saudi Arabia! They should have every kind of octane fuel over there. :looney:

I left Saudi Arabia in July 2005 and moved next door to the UAE. Here we have 91, 95, and 98 RON which are equivalent to 87, 91, and 94 octane (R+M/2).

j99xj said:
They have 85 octane here in Colorado believe it or not.

But I guess its ok because of the altitude.

Yes, at higher altitudes the air is thinner which reduces cylinder pressures, making the engine less likely to detonate and more tolerant of low octane fuels. You definitely couldn't use 85 octane at sea level unless you have a very low compression ratio in a naturally-aspirated engine.

My 2.5 needs 100 octane if I put enough ignition lead in it to run the best....but the CR is 11.4....otherwise I pull the lead back and run 97 in it. No it's NOT my DD....

MudDawg said:
My 2.5 needs 100 octane if I put enough ignition lead in it to run the best....but the CR is 11.4....otherwise I pull the lead back and run 97 in it. No it's NOT my DD....
That little thing must be a powerhouse, did you break 200hp yet? ;)What mods have you done to it?

Can't get 200 from a 2.5 (normally aspirated) I figure around 140 or so....It has a lot more power than the TBI 2.5 in my MJ #2...but I do have a 75hp nitrous fogger system so I guess you could figure 200 HP :D . I flog the holy crap out of it. When it breaks (again...broke a valve spring at 7K+...pulled a valve stem apart...catastrophic failure) I have my eye on a Little old V-6 from a Buick Grand National that a friend has sitting in his garage.

Last edited:
The real problem is getting enough air flow from the head....the stroke is short enough to go that high without getting TOO crazy with piston speed. That and if you use a cam with enough duration, lift, and overlap, it won't have enough low end grunt to be useful.

Back