• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow hitch question

With or without trailer brakes? And what types on incline? Towing is easy, but stopping can be a problem!

That's not a answer! You need to know, most rental places will tell you what they will rent you.

If auto, I believe 5K is max towing capacity.

Pending mods, probably less. Yes, trailer brakes help, but there is always a limit.

If auto, I believe 5K is max towing capacity.

Pending mods, probably less. Yes, trailer brakes help, but there is always a limit.

If you decide to tow 5K lbs, you'll absolutely nuke your brakes without a controller. Just be ready to replace rear brake cylinder seals... which will probably lead to an entire rear brake job.

Tow limit on an XJ is 2000 Lbs, except auto w/ trans cooler installed and trailer brakes which is 5000 Lbs. with 10% tongue weight.

Having said that, I've done up to 4500Lbs and it was nerve-wracking and hard on original suspension, this was when the Jeep was just a few years old.

If pushing the upper limit make sure everything affected is in good condition, and have good trailer brakes.

That's still to much weight. I almost burned all my brakes(including trailer brakes) to the ground with my 3500# trailer the first time a came into Telluride!

I would assume electric trailer brakes. Looking at hauling an RV type trailer.

I just read the part about an RV. I would recommend something smaller like a pop-up or tear-drop that you could haul comfortably, with plenty of extra payload for camping gear. Or pulling your XJ behind a motorhome if you wanted something bigger.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll do more research on it. I also have a WK with the factory tow package. I would probably default to the WK for towing then.

Tow and payload ratings are no joke. Often suspension and tires can take more than is listed but as said brakes are the real issue. Stock XJ brakes are barely adequate for a nearly empty cherokee.

I'm about to set up my new to me 2000 XJ for towing, so I've been reading up on this quite a bit.

The factory tow rating of 5000# requires this equipment on the vehicle:
  • 4.0L
  • automatic trans
  • HD engine cooling (the electric fan in addition to the clutch fan, possibly uprated radiator?, this appears to often be present with A/C even if no factory tow pkg)
  • HD trans cooling (external factory trans cooler in front of rad/condenser)
  • appropriate hitch

Apparently some mid-90's factory tow packages also included 3.73 gears, which would be great. I'm sure that would make a noticeable difference in the pulling part of this equation, 4.10 would probably be even better.

In ADDITION, the factory says you MUST use an equalizing hitch to tow 5000#. Otherwise, I imagine the suspension just won't quite be up to managing the hitch weight sag or the ups and downs of the weight on the hitch. Picture 500# in the cargo compartment.

The factory doesn't seem to say anything about trailer brakes, but I can't imagine anyone supporting towing 5000# behind ANYTHING without effective trailer brakes.

(1st-time poster. About to buy a stock/original 2000 XJ Sport 4dr 4wd 4.0L/AW4/NV231.)

Back