• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Fuse keeps Blowing

Surffshman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1987 Wagoneer (small size) 4.0L, 4WD Selectrac, 237/15/75 Automatic. I had the A/C put under vacuum and refilled with 134A when I turn the A/C on it blows the fuse in the fuse box in about 2 seconds. Any idea what the problem may be. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Check the wiring near the compressor first for damage as that is where they were working on the conversion. It's probably a coincidence but replace the fuse then unplug the AC clutch & see if it blows the fuse. Unplug the heater motor next & so on. It could also be the blower speed resistor unit or a chaffed wire. With the engine off see if you can turn the center of the AC clutch which is the compressor drive to make sure the compressor didn't seize.

alfman said:
Check the wiring near the compressor first for damage as that is where they were working on the conversion. It's probably a coincidence but replace the fuse then unplug the AC clutch & see if it blows the fuse. Unplug the heater motor next & so on. It could also be the blower speed resistor unit or a chaffed wire. With the engine off see if you can turn the center of the AC clutch which is the compressor drive to make sure the compressor didn't seize.
Very good advice! An ammeter can be used to check the a/c clutch also. If it hasn't been used in a while, good chance it has rusted up a bit. Maybe check the pressures also to make sure it wasn't overcharged...

Back