• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems installing lower control arms

K2fender

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I am having a lot of trouble installing my new Rusty's LCA's right now. I have them mounted on the frame side, and I can't get them to line up with the holes on the axle side. I tried it the other way around, and same problem. My new coils are already installed. I just can't get these last two bolts to go through. Any suggestions, or writeups to help.

Block the front tires, then inch forward slowly, while a helper puts the bolts in.

simply turning the wheels with the jack under the side of the axle i was working on was enough to move the axle to the right postiion for me...

xjohnnyc said:
Block the front tires, then inch forward slowly, while a helper puts the bolts in.
this worked well for me, except i had to inch in reverse and do it a bit at a time by myself to get them in. works fine though. make sure you chock your wheels well and keep clear of them.

use a floor jack and a pipe wrench to turn the axle the way you need it, safer than blocking the tires IMHO.

I actually use both methods. The pipe wrench/floor jack works well. But a lot of people won't have a big enough pipe wrench on hand. And don't use an aluminum pipe wrench... :)

Here's what I did.

arms5.jpg

Factory bottle jack works wonders. It's funny that as it becomes less useful for jacking up the vehicle, it becomes more useful for adding aftermarket crap to it.

I did mine using 3" ratchet straps (10k lbs) and a breaker bar. To pull to the rear I used the hitch, to pull to the front I use the tow hook bolts which is not the greatest attachment point. I had to pull one way before adjusting pinion angle and the other way after adjusting pinion angle.

John

I did the same as Vette but made it easier using a 'power' jack. Took a cheap flat tip driver from HF, smashed the hadle off and put it in my cordless drill. Makes it go way faster than hand cranking.

Edit-Oh yeah and my Rustys arms sucked. I blew those crap bushings out in less than a month. The arms are built solid but the choice of bushings is crap for such a rigid piece. With the stock tinfoil arms they are fine because the arms actually twist. The Rusty arms don't flex so the bushings just wallowed out the holes...I put on RE adjustable arms and chucked my Rusyt's in the trash.

Last edited:
Got them on real easy this morning. I used a ratchet strap and moved the car a little, and they went on. Thanks for the help. Now for the new shackles.

Back