• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone been in this position before?

BigNutt

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to lift again. I drive on the hwy about 250 miles a week. I already have RE adj. superflex LCAs and UCAs, RE HDtracbar w/ mount. Now I have always planned on 6-7" of lift for 33s, but I am thinking more like 5" and 31s now.

The reason for this is I have a 2000 XJ and I really don't want to put a ton of cash in my axles. I have been quoted for gears (4.56s) and install it will be about $1k (f and r) + I will need a locker. So I am thinking I will get by with 5" and 31s w/ stock gears until I save enough cash to get an 8.8, d60, or 9" w/ 4.56s already installed for not much more than what a shop wants just to install the gears in my 8.25. So what would you do? Right now I have enough to complete the lift, but I don't have $1.5k for gears and a locker. If I were to go 33s it will take awhile. I can only spend about $300 a month on the Jeep.

The other thing I was thinking is go ahead and complete my RE 5.5" kit with bb and have about 7" of lift, but only run 31s till I get the cash for gears, but at 7" won't I need to do something about steering? Plus I will need a new front ds. I don't know it just seems better to go 31s and save to get atleast a new rear axle with low gears already installed. Then I may jump to 35s.

Thanks

I disagree,

Steering doesn't have to cost big money, at least not over say $250 if your keeping the D30 front axle. $250 is a lot but I wish I could spend $300 a month on jeep stuff.

5" is really not big deal anyway, most 4.5" lifts will give you that. You can run the stock steering just get a drop pitman and a good alignment. The only draw back is that now your CA angles, this will suffer the ride quite a lot. You'll start to feel every bump, especially those small sharp ones. When you get to the 6-7" range, look into the drop brackets or Long arm kits. And of course readdress the steering. Also 5" will help keep you from hanging up on your frame to.

FJH97XJ said:
Save your money to do it all at once, personally I would stay the height your at!

I don't have a lift at the moment. I had a Rustys 4.5" which was ok, but I doing it right this time.

I am pretty much gonna have the RE XD 5.5" w/ 1" bb on top. I will get drop brackets. I don't see how its gonna ride bad at all, I think it will ride atleast just as good as stock. I hear people with the kit all the time say that the 5.5" and 33s ride better than stock.

I will not need a drop pitman arm, they usually do more harm than good.

May I ask why you NEED 5" for 31s, why you NEED a locker, why you NEED a lift at all?? Didn't you lift last time, get DW and go back to stock? Are you sure you're not just getting caught up in the excitement and the looks of it? If you are, there's nothing wrong w/ that, but you don't NEED 5" of lift to clear 31s on the street. Hell, I've got 4.5" and true 33" MTRs and have plenty of clearance even discoed. I'm not bashing you, just trying to get you to think this out. Also, didn't you just buy 30s? or did you change your mind? Anyway, good luck w/ whatever you choose to do. Peace

Ary

Ary'01XJ said:
May I ask why you NEED 5" for 31s, why you NEED a locker, why you NEED a lift at all?? Didn't you lift last time, get DW and go back to stock? Are you sure you're not just getting caught up in the excitement and the looks of it? If you are, there's nothing wrong w/ that, but you don't NEED 5" of lift to clear 31s on the street. Hell, I've got 4.5" and true 33" MTRs and have plenty of clearance even discoed. I'm not bashing you, just trying to get you to think this out. Also, didn't you just buy 30s? or did you change your mind? Anyway, good luck w/ whatever you choose to do. Peace

Ary

Ary,what did you do with your factory flares?I need a set!

BigNutt said:
I don't have a lift at the moment. I had a Rustys 4.5" which was ok, but I doing it right this time.

I am pretty much gonna have the RE XD 5.5" w/ 1" bb on top. I will get drop brackets. I don't see how its gonna ride bad at all, I think it will ride atleast just as good as stock. I hear people with the kit all the time say that the 5.5" and 33s ride better than stock.

I will not need a drop pitman arm, they usually do more harm than good.

What I'm saying is get the drop brackets they will help your ride. Also get the drop pitman, it's the only way to relieve the drag link angle in the stock steering, unless you go with an inverted T steering design. I have the RE drop brackets and 4.5" rusty's springs with 2" spacers. My steering angles suck and that's with the .75" drop pitman. The drag link and the Trackbar need to be parallel.

BIGNUTT - save up and do it all at once. If you have $300 a month for the jeep, do the math and you'll have the money in no time. Heck I'm saving up for the same thing (to upgrade RE 4.5" to the 5.5") only I put away $20 here and $20 there. You'll get there much faster than I will, so if you want the RE 5.5" and 33's then don't mess around with 31's.

And whats this about the RE 5.5" + BB? The RE 5.5" alone will give you more than enough for 33's. Most people get 6-7" from that kit.

EricsXJ said:
BIGNUTT -

And whats this about the RE 5.5" + BB? The RE 5.5" alone will give you more than enough for 33's. Most people get 6-7" from that kit.

I already have a 3/4" spacer and shackle on my Jeep. I am adding the 5.5" to that except I am using Rustys 6" springpacks. I have a 130lbs rear bumper and a 75lbs front bumper.

i dont know what height you're at right now, but i know someone with a 98 xj, with 8 inches of lift with 33x12.50, and he used to have 4, and regrets going bigger because its too tippy on rocks he says, just thought i'd tell you that maybe you can save some money

Back