• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beadlocks

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
i was looking through a 4 wheeling or jp magazine and saw that they had made a D.O.T approved bead lock, i cant find the magazine and was wondering if any of you guys had heard of it, or know the company so i can check it out. thanks.

i guess street legal. mine is a Daily driver, and i live in CA with the real stict laws. i just want to keep my rig some what street legal. the rims also looked awesome. wanted to check them out to see if anyone knew anything about them.

Polyperformance has DOT approved beadlocks for a reasonable price (~$175). I believe you may be thinking of OMF, which are a bit more
expensive.

-Jon

Most (actually everybody) who run beadlocks don't worry about it. Being DOT approved is a big gray area......the wheels that the beadlocks are made from are DOT approved, it's stamped right on the inside of the wheel. In the real world, no officer even knows whether something is DOT approved. Does a particular state have a law on it's books saying that any automotive part that is not approved by the federal Department of Transportation is not legal to use on a vehicle? Who knows, and who cares.

Bottom line, in all there has been said and written about beadlocks, I've never heard of a case where someone got a ticket for running them, so do like the rest of us and just do it. :)

Is it DOT legal to run without a windshield? Bikers do it all the time :dunno: as long as proper eye protection is worn? Rain would suck, but :dunno: Are Terminator Issue Gargoyles 'DOT' approved? I test-bounced a .22LR off a pair. YMMV.

Jes said:
What's the difference between D.O.T. approved and non D.O.T. approved?
DOT approved = approved testing for use on highway
Non-DOT approved = no approved testing for use on highway, so limited to military, farm, or industrial applications: ie, offroad only.

But to echo Goatman, just run them anyway. I have only ever seen one ticket given out, and that was by a cop who was a 4x4 enthusiast himself and knew the difference, and who was waiting at the highway after a long run just to bust any 4x4's that did not meet highway equipment regs.

Also, although you see DOT approved beadlocks for sale here and there, the cheapo route is to have new centers welded into a set of hummer wheels with the factory beadlocks. That way you can have them with custom offset for your vehicle and bolt pattern.

Buck :canada:

Buck Jackson said:
DOT approved = approved testing for use on highway
Non-DOT approved = no approved testing for use on highway, so limited to military, farm, or industrial applications: ie, offroad only.

But to echo Goatman, just run them anyway. I have only ever seen one ticket given out, and that was by a cop who was a 4x4 enthusiast himself and knew the difference, and who was waiting at the highway after a long run just to bust any 4x4's that did not meet highway equipment regs.

Also, although you see DOT approved beadlocks for sale here and there, the cheapo route is to have new centers welded into a set of hummer wheels with the factory beadlocks. That way you can have them with custom offset for your vehicle and bolt pattern.

Buck :canada:

My question was rhetorical.
I could care less if a beadlock wheel is D.O.T. approved or not. Nothing I've bought, built, or added to my Jeep is D.O.T. approved.
Buy a wheel because you like it or because it's going to serve the purpose you need it for. No need to worry about the D.O.T. approval.

Jes

$495!!!!!! Please, let me be one of the first! Where do I sign up?

These guys will either go broke or laugh all the way to the bank.

Has anyone ever found any law, rule, or regulation that says that if an item is not DOT approved, it's not legal to run on the street?

Not to threadjack, but along the same DOT line. I run Mastercraft Rubicon seats. They aren't DOT. They are in my DD. What's the problem? Half the time the DOT approved stuff is crap compared to the Non-DOT stuff. Just my .02

Phil Weeks said:
Has anyone ever found any law, rule, or regulation that says that if an item is not DOT approved, it's not legal to run on the street?

According to Chapter 57, Section 875, Paragraph 12, word 7 of the Department of Transportaion Handbook - :moon:

Back