• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle u joint issue - may have destroyed my axle shaft

moximouse

NAXJA Forum User
Well I was going to replace my axle u joints today, but the things would NOT come off. Actually broke my press trying to get them off, and I think rather than pop out, it actually bent the yoke (?) of the axle shaft inwards, so that it can no longer spin at all freely.

Broke the press, tried a BFH and socket, no dice. Got about 4 mm of lateral movement after ALL of that.

2000 xj, dana 30 axle, seem to be spicer u joints...

help?!

I had one in my 96 that refused to budge, I bent the yoke. I eventually broke through the bearing cap with a punch and hammer. And then cracked the walls of the bearing cap with a center punch and hammer. I did score the yoke a bit, nothing a file and sandpaper wouldn't clean up well enough. The bearing caps are hard but brittle and can be cracked and broken.

I spread the yoke back out with a vice, using a T-square, Vernier Caliper and eyeball. No vibration issues, the inner seal has held just fine

Back