• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper Control Arms, axle bushings.

MrShaft696

NAXJA Forum User
What have people used to get these pressed back in? I need to find or make the right tool so I can get this done. I know I can get it out, because I can destroy anything, just the putting back together part I am concerned about. Thanks in advance..

yeah I looked at that link before, I must not be able to see the pics at work for some reason, so I sort of get the concept, just havent seen the pics yet.

Last edited:
I had to reload that link 3 times to get MOST of the page up, still no pictures.

Here is an alternative--grab a large axle socket, all thread, nuts, large fender washers.

Couple of nuts on one end of the all thread, couple of large fender washers, slip the end of the all thread through the bushing, slide the axle socket over the all thread to form the "cup" the old bushing will pop out into, then a couple of fender washers and a nut--start cranking on the nut to pull on the all thread so the pushing will be pulled into the "cup". Reverse to install new bushings.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&sa=X&ei=K9pNTJrPCo64sQP8hsVI&ved=0CEEQ9QEwCA

I use a balljoint press to press them in and out. On the passenger side mount, I slip a few sockets in between the pieces of sheet metal to keep it from deforming. Its worked great every time Ive done it.

which way does the bushings go out? I assume the driver side one pops out going towards the drivers side? Passenger goes out toward the passenger side.

Dana30TJvsXJ.jpg

Man so I did this crap yesterday, super pain in the balls. I used a ball joint press to try and press the bushing out, I had pretty good access to it, but all the ball joint press was able to do was press the metal sleeve out of the middle of the rubber.
So after the metal sleeve is out of the rubber, I did whatever I had to, to get the remaining rubber out, did a little bit of air chisel, then sawzalled the remaining metal sleeve in two spots and it fell out.

I used the pieces from the ball joint press and the long piece of all thread & fender washers to get the bushings pressed back in, because there was no room to put the big ass ball joint press near the coil spring. They went back in pretty easily, probably spent 3hours on the job. Now I have to finish all the rest of my control arms, yay!

Last edited:
I did this on mine and it wasnt too bad. Get a big ass flat head crew driver or a tire iron and cut out the bent part so it makes a big ass flat head. Use a hammer and tap it going around the lip on it and beat it. Use some PB blaster and also beat in the rear that stick outs a bit. letting the axle droop helps. Within minutes of beating it you will start to see it move. With a pipe wrench turn that bad boy and keep smacking it till its loose enough to come out. Installation i sued a big piece of wood, some grease and a big ass hammer ( cuss words help too ) and just beat it till its all the way in.

Done!

Back