• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Rail Leak - HELP

01whiteXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I replaced my injectors yesterday (including new o-rings). Had a problem removing two of the injectors from the fuel rail due to rust inside the socket area. I got the new ones in using some lubricant but I must have damaged the o-rings because I can smell fuel vapors coming out of the injectors when the system is pressurized.

I'm thinking I may need to re-do the job using a rust free fuel rail and new o-rings.

Where is a good place to get a replacement fuel rail? John at ACRO?

FYI the new injectors are FIC BLUE DEMON Jeep 1999-04 4.0
http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=194

I'm not driving the Jeep until this gets fixed.

Thanks

i cleaned those out real good with scotch brite, i too kept fighting a leak that just wouldnt go away. make sure you didnt damage the o-rings on installation, did you lube em before you started? if not try lubing with motor oil.

i cleaned those out real good with scotch brite, i too kept fighting a leak that just wouldnt go away. make sure you didnt damage the o-rings on installation, did you lube em before you started? if not try lubing with motor oil.

Agree, I would pull the rail so you can see what you are working with. I have used both stainless steel and brass/bronze gun cleaning brushes, .410 or .45 caliber with success but XCM's Scotch Brite is a good idea.

I have always used petroleum jelly for FI o-rings, haven't lost one yet.

Agree, I would pull the rail so you can see what you are working with. I have used both stainless steel and brass/bronze gun cleaning brushes, .410 or .45 caliber with success but XCM's Scotch Brite is a good idea.

I have always used petroleum jelly for FI o-rings, haven't lost one yet.

Gun cleaning brushes and Vaseline. That's a visual I did:wave1:n't need.............

Gun cleaning brushes and Vaseline. That's a visual I did:wave1:n't need.............

Ok, now starts the "Once there was a Marine on liberty..." jokes!

Want to jump in here - just yesterday 06-18-10 started my 89' I6 and noticed an OVERWHELMING smell of gas.

Popped the hood, and at the front of the fuel rail the cylindrical looking part with the vacuum line attached is leaking like a sieve.

Did some looking on the net and it appears that all 87-89 XJ's with the 4.0L have the same fuel rail.
On another forum I found this part number from this Chrysler parts store.

Part number - 8350-3636
Site: http://www.dodge-auto-parts-dealer.com/parts.htm
Price: $ 118.40

Unfortunately - no picture so I don;t like buying parts sight unseen.
Anyone know of a site or location or other source for the fuel rail?

If it isn't one thing it's another - Isn't it?

You mean the replaceable fuel pressure regulator is leaking? Under $40 at rockauto.com; check your local parts stores.

Yup went down to the local Jeep stealership and verified P/N's

8350-3635 - Pressure regulator $121.55 - Available through Jeep
8350-3636 - Fuel rail $495.77 ( :wierd: ) - Discontinued not available
8350-3637 - O-Ring seal kit for rail, regulator, injectors 24.77 - Available through Jeep

Going to Rockauto site now..... :compwork:

Yup went down to the local Jeep stealership and verified P/N's

8350-3635 - Pressure regulator $121.55 - Available through Jeep
8350-3636 - Fuel rail $495.77 ( :wierd: ) - Discontinued not available
8350-3637 - O-Ring seal kit for rail, regulator, injectors 24.77 - Available through Jeep

Going to Rockauto site now..... :compwork:

I've got an 89 parts Jeep and I was gonna toss the fuel rail and regulator. Just changed my mind!!!!

I've got an 89 parts Jeep and I was gonna toss the fuel rail and regulator. Just changed my mind!!!!

Hose, clamps, barbed fittings and you can convert the 91-95 to work.

What are the pluses (if any) of converting to 91-95?
Always open to improvements to RUbe-Golberg's ride if it make it "more-gooder"

Can't think of anything more than possibly the availability and maybe price? Renix is just going to keep getting scarcer, both NOS and aftermarket--we are wasting away.

not to thread-jack, but how are people accomplishing this? i've seen it brought up multiple times.....however, the mounting tabs on the fuel rail are at completely different angles, and in different places on renix and HO motors.

Back