• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BUILD: My 1987 "Wagoneer" XJ Limited

A first look at the woodgrain-trim

The original trim end-caps were not covered in woodgrain... I had mine done as the trim is now more continuous without the solid colored end-caps break-points.

IMG_41602_zpsc3b31a55.jpg

IMG_41622_zps8c072a45.jpg

IMG_41652_zpsfc1bf0ee.jpg

Very, very nice! That is an awesome Wagoneer XJ. :)

I have a drawer full of NOS emblems/badges for the XJ and these four did not have the original high-gloss/polished finish... So I had them re-chromed:

Jeepdetailed1968GTXpaneltl0012_zpsb1141067.jpg

Oh man.... This is AWESOME... I have a 1990 wagoneer.... Burgubdy... And yes, thinking of restoring... Can you spare some info on the vinyl? How much wa$ it for the whole jeep to wrap it? What color and place to buy?

I ordered a bunch of samples from various companies (see below)... And TeamGrandWagoneer had the best quality/match.

Here's the scoop in the wrap... The TGW folks originally were selling the woodgrain for a Grand Wagoneer... But folks were returning it because they didn't like the match.

So... If you contact the TGW folks, as it may not be on their website, you'll have to tell this story and they should be able to help you with the purchase/price. Tell them Crist Clapper sent you!

IMG_3546_zps87a1b8bd.jpg

Oh man.... This is AWESOME... I have a 1990 wagoneer.... Burgubdy... And yes, thinking of restoring... Can you spare some info on the vinyl? How much wa$ it for the whole jeep to wrap it? What color and place to buy?

Did you find the plastic clip for the trim?
I haven't found it. Went to junk yard a while back and took them off a wagoneer but they are going to need some work to work like they are supposed to.

I'm not sure with clip(s) you are referring to? Give me another hint? :wave1:

Did you find the plastic clip for the trim?
I haven't found it. Went to junk yard a while back and took them off a wagoneer but they are going to need some work to work like they are supposed to.

I'm sure you will like them... No modifications needed. They also have self-sealing washers you might want to consider buying. If you call them, ask for Jeff, and most likely he will send you samples.

I also found 52 NOS rubber-sleeves like the originals that I inserted into the holes of the sheet-metal to protect from the threads on the new clips. Stuff to ponder!

oh sweet! seems like you REALLY did your research! how do they hold up and how are they as far as quality? do they fit well without mods?

Last edited:
I've seen the chrome overlay license plate 'eyebrow' in the junkyard a few times, always on older Waggys, and they said Wagoneer, not Jeep. That is a cool find! Toward the end of the run, the only time I saw the chrome strip would be on a Limited, and then not always. It's amusing to see the way XJs were optioned through the years. My son's '95 former police Jeep was a fully loaded Sport, power doors and all, but without a center console. My '96 Country has crank windows !

In your picture, on the older one on the left, my guess is that the Euro foglight would be the second hole from the top. It would be interesting to find out if the wiring for the fogs is in fact in the harness, just without a bulb socket on it. My '96, which didn't come with factory fogs on the front bumper had the switch wires at the place where the switch would have been. I swapped for a bezel with the switch, and it plugged right in. I added the front header harness and relays from a donor with factory fogs, and now I have 'em too.

Is there a write up for this mid somewhere?

To stay on thread and not hijack... I ride in one of the very first Waggys in this area in 1986. It was amazingly smooth, quiet, and well mannered for such a "small" vehicle. Those were the days that anything besides a V-8 rwd full sized American car was considered blasphemy or heresy. Not sure which one fits here. :).

There is a late 80s XJ Waggy not far from here that a fireman is restoring. I lust after it every time I drive by! It's a nice medium blue color with the old Western style alloy spoke rims a short lift and maybe 235s or 30s. It's also replete with all the glorious retro wood vinyl and I'm in love! :)

My Dad had an 86 FSJ Waggy that I dearly loved too in a dark burgundy color and the interiors of the two were surprisingly similar. Sigh. Everything ends up getting used and used up eventually doesn't it?

Stickers for the engine-bay are back from the printer:

Stickers for the engine-bay are back from the printer:

SSS_zps5124e593.png

Undercarriage

Undercarriage sand-blasted and POR'd:

011_zpsbb956b4f.jpg

012_zpsccd39867.jpg

013_zps13962c76.jpg

014_zpsa10abebc.jpg

Front-end

Front-end removed, scrubbed, sanded, re-painted... Preparing for the grill:

009_zps5bec8156.jpg

010_zps7f7422d1.jpg

Under-the-hood

Under-the-hood:

1) Old insulation removed
2) Exposed metal painted black
3) New fasteners & cable-clips
4) Plugs in any unused holes
5) NOS under-hood retractable lamp installed

000_zpsac1b4c45.jpg

Engine bay makeover...

1) Power-washed
2) Replaced all hose-clamps with stainless-steel clamps (many were rusty) with appropriate sizes (no long tails)
3) Replaced all wire-wraps
4) Removed, cleaned, sanded, painted front-cover-plate over radiator
5) New battery/tray/hold-downs, and terminal-covers
6) Wire-looms replaced/added (various sizes)
7) Rubber-caps put on exposed bolt-heads
8) New stickers applied

001_zpsc8b7d370.jpg

002a_zps992ddadc.jpg

002_zps485859e8.jpg

003a_zpsc963ff8a.jpg

003b_zps0ef6068a.jpg

Back