• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at a full swap

hizzo3

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so i have decided i really want a 4WD Jeep. I currently have a 96 with a 2.5l 2WD. Would it be better to just buy/sell to get a 4wd, or can i do a swap. If i do the swap i wanna go to a chevy 4300 gen III with matching tranny (junkyard/rebuild, maybe bored/stroked/supercharged). would it be worthwhile to do the swap, or just get a new jeep? also if i put the 4300 in there with a supercharger (this will be a later mod if i do it) would the unibody handle the added stress? right now it is the SE version, so the onlything powered on it are the headlights and the stereo. Time is no issue, i will do most the work myself, overall cost is most important.

I want this to be a moderate trail/ occasional driver vehicle. looking at about a 3" lift with 32's

on a side note.... how hard is it to do a rear coilover change?

Why would you want a 4.3 in the jeep? Why not just find a junk yard Jeep, take the 4.0 out, tranny, TC, DS, front axle and/or rear, and be done with it?

With good gearing, I dont think that the 2.5 is all that bad of a motor to run with.

If you choose to keep it, look for a non disco front, new mainshaft for the tranny, a 23 spline one, and a 23 spline TC.

I wouldn't waste money on supercharging the 4.3, when you can get the same power from a build SBC, for a lot less.

My .02.

Agreed, your looking at a nightmare. Find a 4 liter jeep and start there, it will be less trouble and cost in the long run, not to mention a lot easier to smog.

-C

I have been looking on ebay and it's not as expensive as you would think to buy another,2 to 4 wheel drive would be a nightmare and I'm a mechanic:patriot:

Back