• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabricated some barn doors.

I once saw an Oldsmobile station wagon in the yard where the window rolled up and then the tailgate rolled down into the floor. I think I found a link to a video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll-OsKw0mDQ

I had one of those.

In addition to the keyed switch at the rear there was a pair of switches on the dash. They were originally wired such that they would only work if the vehicle were in park or neutral. I bypassed that so I could operate them while driving. That was a great deterrent for tail-gaters. Once they realized the back of the car was opening up they backed off. They didn't want to find out what might come next.:wow:

I had one of those.

In addition to the keyed switch at the rear there was a pair of switches on the dash. They were originally wired such that they would only work if the vehicle were in park or neutral. I bypassed that so I could operate them while driving. That was a great deterrent for tail-gaters. Once they realized the back of the car was opening up they backed off. They didn't want to find out what might come next.:wow:

Ha, I can only imagine what they were thinking. "Shit, missile doors are opening"

i can appreciate the amount of fab work that went into them. that being said....i think that looks hideous but if you like it and it works for you thats all that matters

Very cool. I'm not a fan of the blind spot on barn doors, but thats me.

Half doors on look good on 2dr XJs, 4drs look silly with half or no doors.

I think its awesome and really quality work.. idk why some have to be negative, very nice work and way to think out of the box. I liked to see more of the hinge pics and that fab work.. very nice job. be very proud of yourself. tell us more about the dash too.

I think its awesome and really quality work.. idk why some have to be negative, very nice work and way to think out of the box. I liked to see more of the hinge pics and that fab work.. very nice job. be very proud of yourself. tell us more about the dash too.

Sorry, the dropbox images are the only pics I have. I have more, just cant find them off hand. The dash was a fix really. The original dash was pooched really bad, and I had my audio system out of my old Range Rover so I fabbed up a dash to hold the radio and what not. poplar wood sanded and painted with plastidip. I'm replacing the part around the gauges as I don't like the way it came out.

Pretty awesome work. Always loved the barn doors on the old Suburban. More useful than a hatch. Like the uniqueness of this too. Impressive fab skills. I'd love to do something like this, or a true tailgate...

Back