• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM deflectors '98 Cherokee

idahjo

NAXJA Forum User
While I am "on a roll", I have a couple other questions about deflectors.

Where I live, there is a lot of dust in the summer and a high incidence year-round of rock dings. I once had a bra on a 1977 280-z (what a car!) but lived on paved roads at the time. I have about dismissed that idea because of the dust/abrasion factor here.

Can anyone enlighten me on the OEM front bug deflectors and the rear dust deflectors? I know the rear is a screw-on and the front must be also, but would like to know just how they mount before spending the $$'s. The front deflector has to wrap down over the cowl to protect anything as the hood is recessed behind, so assume the mounting lip goes between the hood and the front cowl (wonder if it rubs the front edge of the hood)? Also, I'm guessing the rear dust deflector mounts with a bracket on each side with two screws on each side into the top roll of the liftgate?

Any help greatly appreciated...

I have an OEM one on my 98, it uses brackets that go behind the grill and stick out, you attach the shield to them than put 4 bumpers on the header to keep it from hitting the paint. They fall off and the dealer wants $3 ea for new ones, found a blister pack in the home dept that has 24 of those little buggers for like $1.59 :D
Rosser jeep used to carry a heavy duty bug shield that also covered the grill like the ones you see on CJ/YJ/TJ's, cost was around $60. Hella and CIBIE both carry heavy plastic stick on sheets of clear material that protect the headlights, you just cut to fit.

I bought an aftermarket front bug deflector off ebay for my 95...it uses the four screws on the top of the grill as mount points...also came with those little paint protector bubbles.

Back