• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ axle swap/build

I have been looking at wheel/tire set ups and I think I am going to get some method wheels and cooper stt pro tires.
fc4c48bb1ad2ffeb04e559349dbb4556.jpg

Do you have any reason not to go with this set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much would those cost vs a set from battle board with bead locks?
I’d personally rather have beadlocks than method wheels, and I know no reason why method wheels are better than anything other than they’re in magazines.

Only reason is that sidewall might be pretty stiff at load range E.
But heard nothing but good from the stt for off-road

I have them in 37s on my diesel with 35k and probably %40 tread left

How much would those cost vs a set from battle board with bead locks?
I’d personally rather have beadlocks than method wheels, and I know no reason why method wheels are better than anything other than they’re in magazines.

I’m not really sure. I haven’t really looked at bead locks other than Surplus H1 rims up till now, mostly because they are more expensive and a lot them are not DOT approved. The methods that I’m looking into have a ‘bead grip’ that supposedly allows you to run pretty low tire pressure with less risk of popping a bead off. I am curious if anyone on here has any experience running them.

Thanks for the heads up on the battle borns,
I took a peek @ their steel and alloy bead-locks and they are nice but not street legal which is I would like to have. I would get the alloys to save weight but they are $120 more per rim than the methods.

Id stay away from E load tires for a crawler.

I couldn't find many 17" tires that weren't E load, at least ones that I wanted.

E load range are super stiff. Even when aired down a ton they often wont grab. I mean maybe on something super heavy like a f350 they might work. But in my experience the E range tires are not that. Hell I ran some D range 40s and they did not really hook up great until 7psi or so. I run C range 38s right now and so far they have been awesome.

E load range are super stiff. Even when aired down a ton they often wont grab. I mean maybe on something super heavy like a f350 they might work. But in my experience the E range tires are not that. Hell I ran some D range 40s and they did not really hook up great until 7psi or so. I run C range 38s right now and so far they have been awesome.

Ohh I got ya. That isn’t something I thought about before. So far I haven’t been able to find a 37 tire on a 17” rim that isn’t range D or higher, that is something I would like to run except I think super swamper SSR might be C range.

I’m not really sure. I haven’t really looked at bead locks other than Surplus H1 rims up till now, mostly because they are more expensive and a lot them are not DOT approved. The methods that I’m looking into have a ‘bead grip’ that supposedly allows you to run pretty low tire pressure with less risk of popping a bead off. I am curious if anyone on here has any experience running them.

Thanks for the heads up on the battle borns,
I took a peek @ their steel and alloy bead-locks and they are nice but not street legal which is I would like to have. I would get the alloys to save weight but they are $120 more per rim than the methods.

Yeah I forgot about the street legal headlocks and I’d just run them on the street anyways risking a ticket. If a cop pulls me over for them okay I’ll deal with it I just don’t think cops are looking out for that.

I’m curious about the street legal ones now too. I assume they’re a mix between no bead and bead. Probably run down to 8 psi or so. I’ve run like 12 with no bead and heard air come out in a few spots when crawling so I might stick with 15.

Ohh I got ya. That isn’t something I thought about before. So far I haven’t been able to find a 37 tire on a 17” rim that isn’t range D or higher, that is something I would like to run except I think super swamper SSR might be C range.
I've been running D range 37's on mine, but not the ones you've been looking at. I've got the same type as Jon's 38's and they seem to do pretty good. They've worked at least as good as my previous C range 35" MTR's. I have only aired them down to about 13 psi and they still grab and flex pretty good.

Yeah I forgot about the street legal headlocks and I’d just run them on the street anyways risking a ticket. If a cop pulls me over for them okay I’ll deal with it I just don’t think cops are looking out for that.

I’m curious about the street legal ones now too. I assume they’re a mix between no bead and bead. Probably run down to 8 psi or so. I’ve run like 12 with no bead and heard air come out in a few spots when crawling so I might stick with 15.

Yeah, you’re probably right. I doubt they would look for that or even be able to tell if they were or weren’t legal. I honestly like the look of the methods and don’t do enough crawling or airing down right now to justify full bead locks.
I’m not sure what makes them street legal either. I will have to look into it though.

I've been running D range 37's on mine, but not the ones you've been looking at. I've got the same type as Jon's 38's and they seem to do pretty good. They've worked at least as good as my previous C range 35" MTR's. I have only aired them down to about 13 psi and they still grab and flex pretty good.

Are those the Milestar Patagonia mts? If so, I’ve seen a few people who said they really liked them and the price point isn’t too bad either. I’m leaning toward the coopers, KM3s or SSRs if I have the budget.

Are those the Milestar Patagonia mts? If so, I’ve seen a few people who said they really liked them and the price point isn’t too bad either. I’m leaning toward the coopers, KM3s or SSRs if I have the budget.

Yeah, they're the Patagonia's. I was a bit leary about them before I got them. But I've had no complaints since I started running them about a year ago. And I'm still daily driving them too. (well, not right now as I'm still finishing up doing my front axle swap :D )

Yeah, they're the Patagonia's. I was a bit leary about them before I got them. But I've had no complaints since I started running them about a year ago. And I'm still daily driving them too. (well, not right now as I'm still finishing up doing my front axle swap :D )

I might be giving them a try on the camping rig.

I’m tempted to get them because of the price, but the part of me that loves aesthetics is making me lean towards the STT pros or the KM3s. I think performance wise there probably isn’t much difference.

I run the patagonias on the crawler and the wagoneer and I so far love them.

Yeah, you’re probably right. I doubt they would look for that or even be able to tell if they were or weren’t legal. I honestly like the look of the methods and don’t do enough crawling or airing down right now to justify full bead locks.
I’m not sure what makes them street legal either. I will have to look into it though.

It’s probably more that they are “not DOT approved” making full beadlocks illegal more than anything. To me that means they just aren’t willing to pay the money to get them tested OR zigs some bullshit “well we never include them because they’ve always been illegal” logic.

Doc,
Two of the guys I run with have the cooper sst pro in 37's and like them a lot. I saw you were looking at 13.5 width, any reason for that over 12.5? I think youll find more load range d in 12.5.
I went with load range e, but I have beadlocks and air them down to 10-11psi, Ive never run anything different so I cant compare much but they seem to work find at that pressure. I would have gone with d or c range but had the same issue youre having where the 17" rim really limits the range. Guess theyre all designed for heavy tow rigs.

Back