• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 cross shaft

RenegadeStang

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm rippin' apart a D35 that has a Trac Loc diff in it. Trying to remove the axle shafts, so I know that I need to tap out the cross shaft in the diff. There's what looks to be a set screw holding the cross shaft in place. If it is a set screw, how do I go about loosening it, as it has a crazy head on it.

RenegadeStang said:
So I'm rippin' apart a D35 that has a Trac Loc diff in it. Trying to remove the axle shafts, so I know that I need to tap out the cross shaft in the diff. There's what looks to be a set screw holding the cross shaft in place. If it is a set screw, how do I go about loosening it, as it has a crazy head on it.

From what I've seen so far, there are two ways that the cross shaft is retained:

1) Roll pin. Don't drive it all the way out - just drive it far enough to clear the cross shaft. This will make it easier when you put the thing back in.

2) Setscrew. This is a funky long screw that is only threaded under the head, and should have a reduced (1/4"? 5/16") hex head that should take a regular wrench or socket.

Unless you've got something weird - in which case, I'd appreciate pix.

when i parted out my d35, the cross pin retaining bolt was an 8mm (5/16") 12 point head. i was not able to get a socket on it so i used a 12 pt wrench. easy as pie.

Just be carefull removeing that little is easy broken then it is a problem that you don't want.

Hmmm.... Tried gettin' an 8mm socket on there. It wanted to go on, but it looks like a few of the bolt-head's teeth are a lil' gnarled. I'll see if I can get a wrench on there...

Back