• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front drive shaft hits exhaust

dodgetk81

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 xj with a 3in Rough Country lift. Transfer case drop and adjustable track bar. when the suspension articulates, the front ujoint area of the shaft hits the exhaust. Its a 4.0 automatic. I have tried to loosen up the front pipe and move it over some, but once I tighten it up, it moves back over. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Oh crap, the same exact thing happens to me. Matter of fact, last week while wheeling, it got so bad that the front yoke put a hole the size of a quarter in my front pipe! Any input on this would be appreciated, I'm sure by the both of us...

correct me if I'm wrong. But, wouldn't the axle be off to the drivers side if you lifted and didn't move you track bar.

My track bar is adjusted correctly. I just had it aligned. (wheel alignment) The bumbstop thing wont work, I can thar it hit when Im driving regular on the paved roads. Theres a bog dip by my house and when I have the front axle locked in and I hit that I can hear it. I was thinking maybe lower control arms? Any ideas on that? Will the ones that are bent help at all? Thanks for the imput.

same thing happened to me after i put on my aftermarket header, and before my lift kit was installed. i thought it was from my jeep bein in an accident previously, anyhow just take a hammer and pound the pipe in far enough that it won't rub, that's all we did, worked for me 6 years ago, and still goin.......

Trust me on having it alligned, most will ignore the trackbar missalignment, 90% at least. I did mine off on purpose and took it into 3 different places and none came back that it was out.

Did you install teh lift yourself? can you get us a pic of the jeep frm underneath and straight on from the front?

Is the down pipe of the exhaust tight? is it the stock one?

THe lift was installed by me. And the exhaust is tight. Ill get some pics of the underside for you but I dont know if I can post them here. I wont be able to do it until Tues night. Thanks for the input.

dodgetk81 said:
THe lift was installed by me. And the exhaust is tight. Ill get some pics of the underside for you but I dont know if I can post them here. I wont be able to do it until Tues night. Thanks for the input.

email em to me at [email protected] I will post for ya,

the trackbar wil be off to teh passengers side because the trackbar is attached to the axle on that side and to the drivers side frame. so when lifted the trackbar gets shorter in effect and moves the axle about 5/8" to the passengers side at 3" lift about 1" at 4.5"

xjnation said:
email em to me at [email protected] I will post for ya,

the trackbar wil be off to teh passengers side because the trackbar is attached to the axle on that side and to the drivers side frame. so when lifted the trackbar gets shorter in effect and moves the axle about 5/8" to the passengers side at 3" lift about 1" at 4.5"

if the track bar gets shorter in effect and is attached to the frame on the drivers side, the axle will be pulled towards the drivers side.

89xj said:
if the track bar gets shorter in effect and is attached to the frame on the drivers side, the axle will be pulled towards the drivers side.

my bad you right...must have been smokin somethin...the dimensions are correct thought 5/8" off

Back