• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Size

OB1214

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question about my new project xj. I was wondering what size tires I should get if I put a 4.5 inch lift on the jeep. I would like to keep the front and rear bumpers completely together including the end caps.
thanks,
owen

It all depends on bumpstopping...at 4.5", you might be safe running 33's with a little rubbing. Otherwise, 31's are about the max before you need to start trimming.

yep.

cut the fenders, they're gonna get trashed if you don't

thanks for the help! do you think that I could fit 32s? well practically no rubbing? I can cut if needed. I just don't want it to look weird to have small tires with a bigger kind of lift.

thanks for the help! do you think that I could fit 32s? well practically no rubbing? I can cut if needed. I just don't want it to look weird to have small tires with a bigger kind of lift.

My 2001 needed trimming on 31"s, the 33x10.50s needed the Factory flares raised as high as possible to clear and get the maximum up travel.
The front fender caps needed trimming to clear and to look right.
Pre-97 Xj need less trimming.

I can stuff 33s but had to trim about 2" off front fenders. Bump stop correctly and you'll be good with less trimming. In fact, need to pull my springs and get new stops in there

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Early XJs need the front of the front fender trimmed. later xjs had that metal removed. In my 1990, I trimmed the front of the front fender to be inline with the turn signal housing. world of difference, no more rubbing on 33 x 12.5s The rear needs the rear cut and fold done next. of course if you limit your travel with stops no trimming needed, but then again whats the point of a lift if you have lots of travel restrictions with stops?

Early XJs need the front of the front fender trimmed. later xjs had that metal removed. In my 1990, I trimmed the front of the front fender to be inline with the turn signal housing. world of difference, no more rubbing on 33 x 12.5s The rear needs the rear cut and fold done next. of course if you limit your travel with stops no trimming needed, but then again whats the point of a lift if you have lots of travel restrictions with stops?
Yes. All about good uptravel

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back