• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 or 4.5 lifts

alaska55

NAXJA Forum User
opinions on lift kit needed for mild off roading (no rockclimbing) mostly fire roads and logging roads in central virginia , some in mountains in western part of virginia, at least they call them mountains. where i'm from their called hills.the roads can get quite muddy out here. i just picked up 95 xj 4.0 with 4 sd auto. if i stick with a 3" lift can i get 31 MT under it and will i need a sye. any opinions.

thanks

well with the 3" lift you will get rubbing with 31s under articulation (sp?) But If you do some light trimming/ wheel well liner removing then you should be fine with it. and you won't have to have an SYE. I have 4" of lift and I don't have one and I don't get any bad vibs. $.5 will just mean less trimming with 31s
HTH
Fletch

I have a 4" lift on my '96 and have 31's on it. My lift is a Trailmaster with SSV shocks. I think if I was to do it all over again I would get the same lift. I have been told 4" is max unless you want to get into a bunch of other stuff. If you go 4 1/2 I have been told you will need SYE. Even with a 4" you will probably need to drop you t-case. I think '95 XJ's are the same as mine. I had to drop the t-case due to vibrations and noise. I have seen 31's on a 3" lift with no trim, but it is a bit tight. I suspect it would rub on a rock crawl.

Take a look at the Trailmaster 4". Price isn't too bad either and they have been around forever. For some reason you don't hear of them on here though.

Curt

ive got rusty's 3". im very pleased with it and run 31's. i took my swaybar off, so i rub a little when completely flexed out, but other than that its ok. i have trimmed the fenders since then to run 32's though.

Mark

Check out the RE 3.5" kit on www.jeepin.com This kit might net you slightly more than 3.5, is great quality, and they come from jeepin with DT3000 shocks and free shipping. A good price for a good kit. I'm going to get either this one or more probably the 4.5" from them.

Back