• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build Thread! Project : Don't know yet.

XJRocket

NAXJA Forum User
So I am starting a build here. Long story short, my beloved 94 country was stolen by assholes. My brother gave me his lightly wrecked 98 base model, and I am using what little insurance money I got to build me another xj!

It's a 98, ex gov't, 4.0/AW4/231 base model with A/C, 118k. Slid into a sidewalk going way to fast. Turns over, won't start.

The Plan:
I like to think outside the box and build stuff my own way. I will be flamed much, but I have broad shoulders.

It will be driven on the street 90% of the time. It will ride good and have many creature comforts. It will look boss. It will sound good. It will be an appropriate vehicle for general ass kicking. And yes, it will actually see dirt. I promise.

It is gonna get a 4.5 longarm, cutout flares and 35s.

It needs all new running gear. Both axles are trashed. The rear will be a 9 inch with discs.

The front will be WJ derived.

The bolt pattern shall be 5 on 127 so that I may use the wide variety of wheels for JKs.

Modified Warrior Products front and rear bumpers

Contemplating some JCR bits.

The good:
2012-06-18_16-43-59_968.jpg

The Bad:

2012-06-17_17-42-47_222.jpg

The Ugly:

2012-06-17_17-43-11_104.jpg

2012-06-17_17-56-19_990.jpg

2012-06-18_16-46-37_980.jpg

First I had the frame checked out by a body shop.
2012-06-17_17-43-29_86.jpg

Second, I narrowed the no start condition down to no fuel coming out of the tank. I could hear the pump running but no fuel came out. So I pulled the tank and found this.

1339981379941.jpg

He hit so hard the fuel pump assembly sheared off and was laying in the bottom of the tank. Put a new assy in and voila, it runs like a swiss watch. Minus the hole in the exhaust from the front diff impact that made it sound like it was farting. After I got it running, I found out that the D35 rear is taco'd as well.

Think I decided on a rear axle. It's a Ford 9 3/8 out of a 76 thunderbird. It is 62" WMS-WMS, 31 spline and has discs. It is also 5 x 5 pattern, so it will match JK pattern exactly! The 9 3/8 is a modified 9", and will take a standard 9" chunk. Picked up anodular one of those for fifty bucks!! woot!

Always good to have a plan. This one doesn't seem to ambitious. Get it to where you like it first try and save thousands on rebuilding. This is what I should have done.

I'll be following this.

so, WJ30/9" axles? why not try and find a JK44 (or JK30 even) for the BP and get the track width to even up. you want the front to be a bit wider than the rear, JK axles are something like 64" WMS.

so, WJ30/9" axles? why not try and find a JK44 (or JK30 even) for the BP and get the track width to even up. you want the front to be a bit wider than the rear, JK axles are something like 64" WMS.
Aren't WJ/JKaxles similar width?

JK is a little wider.

From everything I have seen:

XJ = 60.5"
WJ = 63"
JK = 65"

I realize this plan sounds crazy but here it goes. First I am gonna put a standard XJ housing in the front to get it going. If it sits on jack stands, it will never get finished. I know me.

I will put spacers on the xj axle to adapt to the JK pattern and it will end up right at 63". That will get me going and allow me to futz with the real axle and take measurements in the real world. If the 65" width works with the bushwackers well, I will go that route (This is mostly a street driven rig, remember. And I hate tickets...).

If not, I have a crazy idea that involves cutting a WJ 2wd axle into two pieces, welding in a 9" centersection, running custom Dutchman inner axles (they are 8mins from my house) and XJ outer stubs. Either that or I could just run RCVs. Either way, I would get really any width I want, plenty of strength for a XJ, WJ brakes, crossover steering, stronger and off the shelf steering components from a WJ, perfect steering geometry/pinion angle, and a conversation starter I can be proud of.

Last edited:
prolly still isnt gonna run too well with the number 1 O2 sensor ripped off.. the front axle looks ok from the pictures you posted, have you pulled the cover off and taken a peek inside or checked it for true?

prolly still isnt gonna run too well with the number 1 O2 sensor ripped off.. the front axle looks ok from the pictures you posted, have you pulled the cover off and taken a peek inside or checked it for true?

When you see it in person, there is a distinct kink right at the pumpkin. In the one pic you can see the additional negative camber from it. That O2 sensor will be reinstalled, I am just trying to figure out what in. Anyone know of a header that replaces this part of the exhaust? I think a pacesetter goes all the way to the cat but I heard that they suck.

Always good to have a plan. This one doesn't seem to ambitious...

...I have a crazy idea that involves cutting a WJ 2wd axle into two pieces, welding in a 9" centersection, running custom Dutchman inner axles (they are 8mins from my house) and XJ outer stubs. Either that or I could just run RCVs. Either way, I would get really any width I want, plenty of strength for a XJ, WJ brakes, crossover steering, stronger and off the shelf steering components from a WJ, perfect steering geometry/pinion angle, and a conversation starter I can be proud of.

So much for the modesty. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

We all get carried away before long! Good luck with it man!

Robert

purdy. is it new or an oem take-off from another vehicle?

It's a Magnusson MP90 that was a R&D unit I got directly from Magnusson a couple of years back for my other xj. Glad it wasn't on there when it was stolen... Anyway, I have another manifold that I am having machined down so I can weld a box plenum onto it to hold th SC and the air/water intercooler. Packaging is gonna be a beeeotch. This is a project for after the suspension, though.

Someone had the same visual idea as me. I was searching around and stumbled onto this pic:
Jeep-b.jpg

I am rethinking the 35s now. Those are 33x12.50R18 with a 63" track and a 4" lift. Exactly the look I was going for but with 35s. And yes I am going with 18s. Flame on.

18s and 35s do sound like a good combo. With all that tire, a little extra wheel in there wont hurt. Saw an old K Blazer the other day with what must have been that combo. Didn't look bad, and now that may be in my Jeeps future as well.

Back