• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket radiator users

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be ordering a CSF radiator from Dirk at DPG next week hopefully and I was wondering, are you running the stock fans? I was thinking about building a new shroud out of aluminum and i'm going to wire my electrical fan on a switch.

What should I do about fans....stock or new?

Also I want to look at waterpumps also, what's a good brand to get, just any aftermarket or is an OEM one good enough?

Hey Woody, I bought the CFS Rad from dirk about 6 months ago. I am very happy with it. I didn't have to mod the fans or do anything above just replacing the rad, well I also replaced the waterpump, hoses and t-stat at the same time. Had it all apart might as well.

Alex

With a good radiator and fan clutch, everything stock get's the job done just fine.

Alright, so it's not necessary to replace the hoses, tstat, and h2o pump unless there is something wrong.....sorta one of those dont fix unless broken things?

I'm in the process for the XJ version of searching for the holy grail. Trying to get an electric fan to properly cool an XJ. The problem is this; you need at least 2000 - 2500 cfm of airflow to make up for the mechanical fan. An electric fan that will give that much flow AND fit in the small area available doesn't exist. I'm trying to get around this by mounting 2 12" Zirgo fans (1650 cfm each) to an aluminum shroud. Hopefully, this combo will provide enough flow to make up for replacing both the mech and the small OEM (800 cfm) electric.
I'll let you know if I find the grail.

GOJeep has found it. he has a write up on it some ware on his web sight and a post in here some ware about it. if ya search for his posts it should pop up.

WIll

OK cool, well i'm gonna try the radiator first and build a new aluminum shroud for the 2 stock fans and once the stroker goes in, well then i'll look at new fans. I just wanna solve the major heating problems for now.

kid4lyf said:
The problem is this; you need at least 2000 - 2500 cfm of airflow to make up for the mechanical fan.

More like 1500-2000. I know of at least 4 people with ~1500 CFM fans and they work great. I ran around for two weeks with NO main fan, only the aux. electric fan. Still didn't overheat...

What about mounting a pusher fan in front of the radiator to help when crawling (the rocks or fwy) in the extreme heat. I saw one person who had a dual fan setup on his XJ and it fit perfectly behind the grill. Anyone using pusher fans? I was thinking of adding one to see if it would make any difference but haven't had time to look into it.

-Mike L.

Big Jeep 101 said:
What about mounting a pusher fan in front of the radiator to help when crawling (the rocks or fwy) in the extreme heat. I saw one person who had a dual fan setup on his XJ and it fit perfectly behind the grill. Anyone using pusher fans? I was thinking of adding one to see if it would make any difference but haven't had time to look into it.

-Mike L.

The only question I would have about that is how much would they restrict air flow when NOT running or if they would 'freewheel' when turned off. It might be a compromise, if you live in heavy traffic it might just be a really good solution but if most of your driving is not traffic it might be a hiderance. You could try it and see but I would NOT use the clips that use the radiator tube themselves to support it, I would make a mounting system with straps and use the XJ's sheetmetal to hold it...

i tried using the electric fan set up...it worked fine in stop and go traffic...but when i got on the hwy it started heating up real quick!!..it never ran that hot before!!!!...put the stock stuff back on....no more over-heating..can anyone answer that for me????....Len

txlen said:
i tried using the electric fan set up...it worked fine in stop and go traffic...but when i got on the hwy it started heating up real quick!!..it never ran that hot before!!!!...put the stock stuff back on....no more over-heating..can anyone answer that for me????....Len

You did something wrong. I don't know anything about your setup so I can't tell you what...

lets see...i'm a viper mechanic for a living...i installed a fan setup off a viper to see how it would work and fit.....seeing it keeps a viper cool..i figured a 4.0 was no big deal...when it sat in the stall at work with the a/c on no probs at all..ran around 170-180 degrees....idled there for over an hour...got it out on the road headed home and it started heating up...got almost over to the red line...got off the hwy and on the side rd it started to cool down....put the original setup back on no probs at all...i went for the electric setup to free up hp and maybe better gas milage...but it didn't work....Len

Back