• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pony up for Membership

WOW, I'm a piker compared to some others :D :anon:

I'm a member but for some reason I can't seem to get it under my link. Anyone know how to get it fixed. I've been a member for 4 years now. Thanks Juice

hey juice, yer member #204, thats been for quite a while now....

just curious, have you ever changed your username?

maybe an error occurred int he switch?

hopefully the admin will check into things for ya.

No, same user name but when the board switched to the new format I lost the sig under my name and put me as a forum user and not member. I'll guess the admin needs to look into it. Juice

well, I'm number 21 and have been on the board for about 3 years now, started with an XJ and the whole 3"/31s deal, now have an MJ 7" 35s etc...

i haven't paid for membership because i feel the internet should be free damnit! now I can understand paying dues for a Jeep club, and when I start doing trail-rides with the Sierra guys this summer I will pony up for a CLUB membership, but I wouldn't for an internet board membership.

i did finally get a red star over on PBB, but I didn't pay for it (part of settling a discrepency in a sale) and with that membership you can host pictures, get in on tons of raffles, etc. what exactly are the internet benefits of NAXJA? a sticker, and a private board?

Well, feeling the internet should be free is fine. However, in most cases it is not free, at least to those owning web sites. Having this web site/forum available *does* cost money, and that money comes from Membership Dues and Sponsors.

While some people will leach for whatever reasons they want to justify, kudos go out to those that recognize the costs involved in supporting the club and its web site VS what they get out of the forums. Those people make it possible for those that do not want to pay to be able to use the forums.
Glenn

mad maXJ said:
well, I'm number 21 and have been on the board for about 3 years now, started with an XJ and the whole 3"/31s deal, now have an MJ 7" 35s etc...

i haven't paid for membership because i feel the internet should be free damnit! now I can understand paying dues for a Jeep club, and when I start doing trail-rides with the Sierra guys this summer I will pony up for a CLUB membership, but I wouldn't for an internet board membership.

i did finally get a red star over on PBB, but I didn't pay for it (part of settling a discrepency in a sale) and with that membership you can host pictures, get in on tons of raffles, etc. what exactly are the internet benefits of NAXJA? a sticker, and a private board?

mad maXJ said:

Thats great that you think it should be free, but this isnt an internet club. This is a Jeep Club for XJ and MJ owners. People congregate on the trails to wheel together, and this site is where folks come to shoot the shit and get some good info when a trail is not available. *Most* here arent web wheelers, they actually hit the trails.

And you get more than a sticker and a seperate board. You get the commraderie of your fellows and you help support the UFWDA.

Fergie

why not throw up a simple banner ad at the top (like PBB) to make that revenue?

they've made a number of changes to the site in the last couple years that I have no doubt cost money and use more bandwidth, but you can accomplish the same things with free software, it just won't be as pretty, which I don't care about and don't feel like paying for. and there's no way I'm using $30 a year worth of bandwidth.

again, I am happy to pay CLUB membership, but I have yet to get involved in any club activities, which will change this summer, as will my membership status.

(also, $30 is actually a stretch for me, I'm a college kid. it's not a principle thing "i won't pay for internet", I would be happy to pay for the forum if I had money to burn)

Fergie said:
Thats great that you think it should be free, but this isnt an internet club. This is a Jeep Club for XJ and MJ owners. People congregate on the trails to wheel together, and this site is where folks come to shoot the shit and get some good info when a trail is not available. *Most* here arent web wheelers, they actually hit the trails.

And you get more than a sticker and a seperate board. You get the commraderie of your fellows and you help support the UFWDA.

Fergie

that's exactly my thoughts. so far this HAS been an internet club to me because I haven't wheeled with any members. I do go wheeling, but up till now it has always been with friends and guys from the Pirate board who have different vehicles; YJs, Toyotas, K5s, etc

this summer it will become a Jeep Club for me as I will go on the Sierra club runs and actually start building some of the commraderie that you speak of. at that point I will not hesitate to pay dues.

mad maXJ said:
(also, $30 is actually a stretch for me, I'm a college kid. it's not a principle thing "i won't pay for internet", I would be happy to pay for the forum if I had money to burn)

I was once a poor college kid too. Stay home ONE NIGHT instead of going to bars and there's your 30 bucks for a whole YEAR of dues. Consider it a "Jeep mod." 30 bucks is nothing compared to what you've probably spent on your Jeep. It's 1 tank of gas.
Not trying to single you out, though. Same goes for everyone.

I didn't realize that I was so high on that list! I try to answer a lot more tech questions than I ask on this board, but I will be the first to admit that I have learned a lot from this group as a whole! So... I finally bit the bullet and should have a nice RED name and signature anytime now. (And I'll be able to update my avatar that slipped through the cracks some time ago! :laugh2: )
Billy

There usually are Banners that run at the top, however those folks are working on a new Ad season.

Other than that, I feel your attitude is a cop-out. You draw resources that cost money, but you do not want to support that. You would rather *use* the generosity extended by the Club until you can actually wheel with people.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not convinced people should be forced to join. I just disagree with your reasonings.
Glenn

mad maXJ said:
why not throw up a simple banner ad at the top (like PBB) to make that revenue?

they've made a number of changes to the site in the last couple years that I have no doubt cost money and use more bandwidth, but you can accomplish the same things with free software, it just won't be as pretty, which I don't care about and don't feel like paying for. and there's no way I'm using $30 a year worth of bandwidth.

again, I am happy to pay CLUB membership, but I have yet to get involved in any club activities, which will change this summer, as will my membership status.

KY Chris said:
I was once a poor college kid too. Stay home ONE NIGHT instead of going to bars and there's your 30 bucks for a whole YEAR of dues. Consider it a "Jeep mod." 30 bucks is nothing compared to what you've probably spent on your Jeep. It's 1 tank of gas.
Not trying to single you out, though. Same goes for everyone.

okay, how bout the fact that I've never been to a bar :laugh3: (turning 20 next month)

I do stay home from the movies and such fairly often because I need to put every last dime into my truck just to get it back going (currently sitting in a rather depressing 2wd state)

the dues will be payed, just can't happen now

Glenn said:
You would rather *use* the generosity extended by the Club until you can actually wheel with people.

it's not about "use"ing, it's about receiving help AND giving help. I feel confident that if someone actually took the time to tally it up, I've answered FAR more questions that I have asked. maybe I should be paid for my help?

Back