• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adventure trailer build (ish)

sinat01

NAXJA Forum User
Ill post pics up either tonight or tomorrow but here is what I have to work with.
I recently picked up a 4x8 aluminum trailer that is already SOA.
I put rubi 5 spoke wheels and 285/70R17 AT tires on it.
downside is I still need a substantial drop hitch for it to set level with the jeep (prolly 8+" drop)
I think the trailer has CJ5 springs under it. 44.5"L x 1 3/4" wide, spring plates match and everything.
I am trying to make this into a camping trailer and a general use trailer, which is difficult lol
trailer needs new bushings and the springs are a bit soft, but new CJ springs arnt exactly cheap.
what is a good hitch setup to use that is friendly on road and to my wallet, but will allow more movement than a normal ball setup?
I also want to make it so I can make an awning using PVC pipe as a frame and a good tarp. that way it can be stowed away fairly simply.

One of the issues I am having currently, is when I have my trailer hooked up to the jeep, if I hit the brakes itll dim my stereo face like I turned my light on, and if I use my blinkers my stereo face and odometer flash in time with the blinker. the jeeps turn signals, and back up lights are LED and have the correct flasher for them, but the trailer uses incandescent bulbs still, could that be causing the issue?

Will be interested to see the pics. Probably give you some more ideas on how to build it up.

For your hitch, go with an articulating one such as... Doesn't need to be this one but to get you an idea.

https://locknroll.com/

8" drop is a lot but could be done. It's 8" from the jeep to the trailer not vis versa correct? Might be tough if you go with an articulating hitch though, but who knows.

Wonder if you could bastard pack some new leafs?

Lights definitely seem like a wiring or voltage issue. That is one area I'm stupid green in. I do remember back in the HS days when I had silly stereos putting in a capacitor to help with voltage drops and gauge lights dimming. But that was big 'ol woofers shaking the neighbors house, not trailer lighting. Maybe throw in some LED's and see if that helps. In any case LEDs would be helpful.

Coming along nicely. Remember that a ball hitch will not flex enough for offroad. While not my favorite, a pintle is a good choice for offroad.

Try not to use a drop hitch. They drag at the worst times. Try and raise the trailer tongue if you can.

It has an 8" drop hitch on it now. when I get the money ill prolly be getting the lock nd roll system for it. for any offroad id take it on right now I think a ball hitch will be ok. I would use a pintle, but itll be a general use trailer too.
Got the sides on and painted, just gotta put the tie downs in and design my awning setup I wanna do

It has an 8" drop hitch on it now. when I get the money ill prolly be getting the lock nd roll system for it. for any offroad id take it on right now I think a ball hitch will be ok. I would use a pintle, but itll be a general use trailer too.
Got the sides on and painted, just gotta put the tie downs in and design my awning setup I wanna do

Id go pintle too. My dad has an old army trailer that's basically a cargo trailer now with a pintle. Never had any issues with a pintle. They're pretty much indestructible.

Could you throw some lift blocks or reverse the shackles to get some lift to avoid a bigger drop hitch?

so I wanna make some stabilizer jacks for it cuz I don't feel like dropping $80 on a set of BAL jacks. I was thinkin 1 1/2" square tube, with a smaller size tube inside of it for an extension, and make it so it folds up. sound strong enough?

ok, so I used the trailer for Bantam this year and it towed great. I had it loaded with firewood, camping gear and 2 full coolers.
Only issue im having is one spring is weaker than the other and caused it to lean a bit.
I am almost 100% positive it uses CJ5 leaf springs, anyone know a good source for those?

ok, so I used the trailer for Bantam this year and it towed great. I had it loaded with firewood, camping gear and 2 full coolers.
Only issue im having is one spring is weaker than the other and caused it to lean a bit.
I am almost 100% positive it uses CJ5 leaf springs, anyone know a good source for those?

Craigslist or JY. Could even just measure them eye to eye and got to the JY and find something close enough.

so I wanna make some stabilizer jacks for it cuz I don't feel like dropping $80 on a set of BAL jacks. I was thinkin 1 1/2" square tube, with a smaller size tube inside of it for an extension, and make it so it folds up. sound strong enough?

Take a look at the jacks I designed and built for my teardrop. They work great and were fairly cheap. Ones tall enough for my trailer were going to be several hundred dollars a piece.

My teardrop build

Last edited:
Back