• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery Cable Upgrade (Pics)

Mesh

NAXJA Forum User
I finished wiring my headlights so now it’s time for the battery. I had some cable lying around that looked about right all I needed were a few more supplies. Picked up some lugs, adhesive lined shrink tube, braided sleeving, and battery terminals.

I borrowed a cheap crimper that’s made to be used with a hammer but it worked quite well in my ball joint press. After crimping the ends they were soldered to completely seal the connection. Braided sleeving and heat shrink was applied, it added some abrasion resistance and helped to distinguish the cable. I ran out of ½ lugs but so far I like how it turning out.

imgp0326.jpg

imgp0333j.jpg

imgp0335h.jpg

imgp0336.jpg

imgp0338bjj.jpg

imgp0341w.jpg

imgp0357d.jpg

Very Nice.
Almost like the one's in my sig.
Just curious, did you place the heat shrink over the braided part too?
Also, for future reference, try a triple or quad crimp. The copper cabling inside the lug makes full contact all the way around, where as with a single crimp there are some stand that will be floating about on the inside. Copper lugs also work best, unless that's tin platted copper?

Hallo. Very nice job. One little advice, if you drill in the lug a very small hole.
You have control, that the solder and cable are completely going through the end. Especially the solder.;)

'82 XJ

Last edited:
Hallo. Very nice job. One little advice, if you drill in the lug a very small hole.
You have control, that the solder and cable are completely going through the end. Especially the solder.;)

'92 XJ

It's important to solder the lugs ,because humidity in the lugs can make corrosion and have a high resistance.
But how did you do the soldering. Are you using flux and a torch ?

I don't remember where the battery terminals came from I'll try to look it up.

Lugs are tin plated. Getting a full crimp would be nice but good tools are too expensive to only use a few times. I used what I had access to it was cheap and will work great. And heat shrink on the braid too.

For soldering I used a map torch and the solder pulls into the lug which should help the connection some. I had someone who does marine wiring give me a few tips.

Looks great. The kind of job that I would be proud to put my name to.

The crimps are excelent. You use a clamp instead of a hammer like I do with that type of crimper. The heat shrink will keep water and moisture out reducing the possibility of corrosion.

Did I tell you I love the neatness of the under hood wiring? :worship:

I've been a little busy with my new engine. It felt like I had a 100 different projects going on at the same time.

Battery Terminals: I think I ordered them from jeepersandcreepers.com a while back.
Braided Sleeving: Techflex FlexoPET It comes in every color and can be ordered just about anywhere online.

The new cables are working great the starter cranks hard even with my high compression engine and I get a solid 14v all the time.

A few more pictures, I changed things a bit.

imgp0364.jpg

imgp0365.jpg

imgp0417.jpg

I really like the use of the braided sleeve. And I know what you mean about having 100 projects at once. I upgraded my alternator and cables when I was working on my stroker. What are those two boxes behind the three relays on the fender?

If anyone is looking for those terminals they are called military style.

It looks like a 10 ga fuse holder. pretty common, some auto part stores may have them.

Jegs 555-10515. I changed the wire to 10ga it was a pain. Everything needs to come with a pigtail for some reason.

Back