• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amateur Radio??

markw

web wheeler
NAXJA Member
Any of you guys running 2m amateur radio in your rigs? I've got the token CB, but that's about what it is, token, works ok if you can still see the person you're talking too. :) Just curious as to how many Ham's were going. At JV most of us ran on 2m. I'll be listening on 146.500 coming in, and probably during the runs. Oh, and if you don't have your ticket, think hard about getting it, as it may save your life or someone elses someday. For those who are new to this http://tinyurl.com/2vunrr . I believe it was a NAXJA group that saved this guy. Some of you guys were probably there.

Mark

Hey Mark,

There are several folks with HAM radios. I am sure they will chime in.

I plan on getting my license later this year and learning the lingo/code...

markw said:
Oh, and if you don't have your ticket, think hard about getting it, as it may save your life or someone elses someday. For those who are new to this http://tinyurl.com/2vunrr . I believe it was a NAXJA group that saved this guy. Some of you guys were probably there.

Mark

Remi and Johnny were there among others. Remi was the operator at the time.

I've become a little disillusioned with radio in recent years but whenI do listen to it I generally play 95.5 KLOS or Indie 103 (103.1). Occasionally I flip it over to AM to listen to KNX 1070 if I'm in need of a traffic report.

Generally though I listen to my iPod.

:laugh3:

GSequoia said:
I've become a little disillusioned with radio in recent years but whenI do listen to it I generally play 95.5 KLOS or Indie 103 (103.1). Occasionally I flip it over to AM to listen to KNX 1070 if I'm in need of a traffic report.

Generally though I listen to my iPod.

:laugh3:

i havent flipped my radio to "tuner" since the day KNAC went off the air. :(

dzraces said:
Ok lets see if I remember this from scouts like 15 years ago

I M I ???
This is why morse code sucks...especially when written and not heard.

could also be
EAD EWI UD EL EATI EATEE EWEE EEGE EETTEE EANE UNE UTI UTEE

I could go on, but you get the point. Without hearing it...its basically worthless to me.

JohnX said:

That's why I use the dit dah thing, reading it is as close to hearing it as you can get.

ead would be, dit - dit dah - dah dit dit.

dit dit dah dah dit dit is the "?". The CW way of saying "Huh?". Lots of uses. :D

I know the no code testing is opening up the VHF spectrum to alot of new folks, which I think is a great thing, and it has alot to offer in the newer modes and operating profiles. But, there's a whole 'nother world out there in HF, and there's still something to be said for HF operations, CW, contesting, and working through that mega pile-up in CW to get that rare DX QSO.

Code is just not that hard to learn, it's just like anything else, it does take some effort. Like some others that I know when I was studying for the exam, I learned enough to copy 5 wpm in about 3 weeks. Once it was my mode of choice, I easily went past 20-25 wpm in less than a year, as did everyone that was doing it during the same time period. Operating on established CW nets is great practice...

The first offroad use my XJ saw (bone stock) was an Anza trip out for field/portable type operation in the desert.

I regularly spend time anchored out at Santa Cruz Island, and run QRP out there. I have to be careful sometimes, especially at night when condx are good on 40M. IOTA /MM pile-ups can get nasty... :D

When not doing that, we sometimes listen to stuff like the "Voice of North Korea". Great comedy. :D

73 de K0IOA/6 /MM /M

--ron

Captain Ron said:
That's why I use the dit dah thing, reading it is as close to hearing it as you can get.

ead would be, dit - dit dah - dah dit dit.

dit dit dah dah dit dit is the "?". The CW way of saying "Huh?". Lots of uses. :D

I know the no code testing is opening up the VHF spectrum to alot of new folks, which I think is a great thing, and it has alot to offer in the newer modes and operating profiles. But, there's a whole 'nother world out there in HF, and there's still something to be said for HF operations, CW, contesting, and working through that mega pile-up in CW to get that rare DX QSO.

Uh, I don't know if you'd heard yet or not, but they have completely dropped the code requirement. However the bandplans and part 97 still have those little slivers of band that are CW only. So I guess it's a good compromise. Probably 30 people taking their General Class license when I went to upgrade from Tech to Extra. I'm itching to get onto HF and just picked up a new FT-857.

markw said:
Uh, I don't know if you'd heard yet or not, but they have completely dropped the code requirement.

Captain Ron said:
I know the no code testing is opening up the VHF spectrum to alot of new folks,...

I do. Although you'll have to forgive my assumtion that although you may be Extra Class, if you did the no code, I'm assuming that you are not operating CW, or in those band allocations... at least I hope... :D

It was for John's benefit.

--ron

Yeah, staying off the CW portions. :) Mainly did it for voice. Took the General and Extra just to see if I remembered all the formulas and what not. 20 years of Navy electronics didn't let me down. Plus I get to rub it in with my dad who was an Advanced as he never could get more than 13wpm.

Mark

Back