• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab...Elephant hill...been there?

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
Starting to have some doubts on if my Jeep can make it up the hill?

Just want to know what you guys think who have been there. For anyone who doesn't know...

97 XJ 4.0 auto, 5.5" lift, 35" tires, detroit rear, trutrac front, 4.56 gears, really flexy in front, pretty stiff in the rear. Winch, sliders, tank skid, T-case skid.

Sounds like it should be easy right? Heres the problem, I hear there are some very tight turns requiring reverse gear. I will be towing this trailer. It also has 35's, 6 inch lift, Jeep width, pintle hook, and massive clearance under the axle. I am only concerned with backing up, not hanging up. My other concern is traction while pulling an extra 1500 lbs. (trailer with load). Are there any low traction hill climbs?
122hycg.jpg

Be brutal.

Last edited:
Leave the trailer at the trailhead? If I remember right, Elephant hill trail is a loop. Just leave it at the trail head and pick it up when you're done.

Exactly. Don't worry about the trailer. Lock it up in town somewhere. It is a very 4X4 friendly town.

Go and have fun!

I think you will be find with the trailer PROVIDED!!! you know how to back up. What the deal is with Elephant Hill is this. There is a set of three switchbacks. The first one you drive down...then instead of making the turn you back down the second one and drive down the third. They are all strait and as long as you can back a trailer up ok you should be fine. The part you have to back up isn't more then a 100 yards.

DrMoab said:
I think he is camping on the trail which would explain the need for the trailer.
Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner. I am leaving tommorrow...so it's basically too late to change plans.

I cannot leave the trailer, we are camping for a couple days at Bobby Jo.

Will their be enough room to pass the turn and back up the swithback?

I did that trail in my bone stock 93 XJ. I mean STOCK. The tight turn where you need to back up..you don't really need to back up. I made the turn and drove through the switchback forward. I wouldn't hesitate at all to take your jeep with the trailer on it over the hill.

Video and stills will be plentiful. Someone will have to post the video for me. I still have no idea how to connect my vid to the computer? Guess I'll have to buy a cable when I return home.

I don't think you'll have a problem John. Traction shouldn't be an issue at all, we took our '91 with 3.07's and bald 30" tires and a budget boost thru without any issues whatsoever. Ryan is correct about the switchbacks. It isn't a long run backing up, and not technical thru the switchbacks at all. Just make sure you're able to back up a trailer straight and you'll be fine.

There should be enough room to back the trailer sufficiently to get the Jeep past the turn.

Have fun,
Jared:patriot:

Handlebars said:
My buddy did it easily in a Tacoma. In the rain. Traction was not an issue although he had to do an 8 point turn. The ability to manually apply your trailer brakes independant of the Jeep brakes would make it easier.
orig.jpg
YOU ROCK! That is the picture I wanted to see. I won't have any trouble at all, judging by that.

Leaving in 30 minutes...wish me luck.

Now my question about the tocoma...

How come those two guys standing around (probably snickering) didn't just lift the end of the trailer and pull it over about 3'? ;)

Jeep parked on Gemini Bridge.
14sh0de.jpg

A little crawling.
14sh2dk.jpg

Some more.
14sh66a.jpg

Under a rock in Long Canyon.
14sh6wy.jpg

More to come. Video of E-hill with a trailer! if I can figure out how to host it.

Back