• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amateur radio operators?

gothcha thinking about it, if their is anything i can help with let me know, John KD7NUU

swifty088 said:
gothcha thinking about it, if their is anything i can help with let me know, John KD7NUU
Actually, Phil and I have been in discussion since NWFest. We are very interested.

Technician here.

Been hoping to go to General, but no time. I also can't hit any repeaters from my house with my J Pole :(.

KG6AQT

Well I am not a real active member in the HAM community got my license for manly just talking to friends that had theirs but the radios are very handy on the trails, I stopped by and talked briefly with Phil about it tonight, and if nothing has changed their are all kinds of instructors willing to put on a class just like the one i got mine from, I am going to talk to my friend tomorrow he knows a few more people in the area that can refer someone over in the seattle, tacoma area, Ps Phil you can go online and take a practice test to see how much you have learned from the book. John http://www.qrz.com/

They are great for emergencys but also with the extra power you have available to you on like 2meters and 50 watts vs 4 on a cb, It is great to get out to others if you have split into groups and one maybe on the other side of a hill or in a valley, and you can get a real nice radio for the price of a real nice cb such as a galaxy,

I just have my Tech and find it to be just about all i need for the uses i use it for, and would probably work for most, but if you got the stay power there is more to go for, for sure, John

pdxxjnoob said:
Awesome. Good to hear someone wants to become a Ham. Which license is he going for?

Would love to go for General.

John, I've taken the exams online and have passed them numerous times. :D I need CW help, mostly. ;)

practice ,practice, practice, i did, what i thought was not bad for my morse on some practice software i had for my computer, but when i came to test day. Holy crap, they all seemed to run together, but some people just pick it up better then others and it is something you have to use or you start to forget even our instructor struggled a bit so while we had guest teachers he was over on the radion doing some cw for practice, wish ya the best with it for sure, john

Have they dropped the CW test for General down to 5 wpm? I don't remember the outcome of the license changes.

ECKSJAY said:
I need CW help, mostly. ;)

It's not the big demon some make it out to be. Sure, getting going is a challenge, but it IS doable.

Just about any CW practice CD's listened to while you drive will have you at 5wpm within a month, at the very most if you're serious.

What will really sink it in is listening to the Novice CW allocations, 7 - 7.140 Mhz, for example, to pick up the syntax and common abbrev's.

The test is mostly getting past the "test thing", for most people. It also helps knowing what is going to "come next", such as what takes place in a common CW contact exchange.

I know a majority of people these days use FM, and SSB, for good reasons.

But the statisfaction of working a distant CW contact (that doesn't even speak english), the rush of being the target of a CW pileup, and the rapid fire CW exchanges in contesting are all things that define amateur radio as being a different animal than just picking up a mike and calling CQ.

I'm not in WA, but if I can help, let me know, QSL?

73 de ron K0IOA/6 /M /MM

Not a bad idea. Toyota sponsored the Wild West Pro Rally in the Capitol Forest area around Olympia a while back. Hams were used for all communications during the event. It was amazing how well the network that was strung together by the local group was almost flawless. They were able to maintain instantaneous contact between race officials covering an area of three counties of mountain terrain.

Back