• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Linux for an amateur

jml1911a1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey techies, it's me again!

I'm thinking of doing a dual-boot config on my new laptop (WinXP) with Linux. My questions are: Which Linux distro to use (preferably free, mostly just to learn with and tinker), and where to find a good guide to partitioning and configuring the dual-boot.

Any URLs would be most helpful.

Thanks again!

jml1911a1

I'm running a Dell L400 laptop with SuSE 9.1 and Win2k. It's been set up as a digital darkroom.

I have a small (128mb) boot partition, a W2k partition, a Linux root, Linux swap, and a shared partition (currently FAT32.) I'm using the grub boot manager as well.

The secret path seems to be to start installing Linux, and just create the first boot partition. Start over with the Windows install, creating a second partition and installing Windows there. Once Windows is happy and completely updated, go back and start installing Linux again, creating it's own root and swap partitions. SuSE 9.1's installer detected the Windows partition, and configured grub properly.

SuSE is not free. But I'm certainly happy with it. You can download a floppy based installer that will pull the distribution down through a network connection (assuming you have a high speed connection.)

Linux mandrake, easier with two hard drives, install windows and then install mandrake linux. WHen it boots it will come up with a nicely colored screen with the choice to boot linux or windows. Mandrake 10 is free, just grab the ISO images from a mandrake mirror, burn them to a cd and thats it. Easiest I have seen yet, runs well and has open office with it. It is also the easiest to install I have seen yet...

I like Red Hat. Mandrake is very similar though, and has an easy installer.
I use Red Hat Enterprise (these forums use Red Hat Enterprise 3.0), and that is not free. However, there is Red Hat Fedora.

Usualy, install windows, then go through the Red Hat or Mandrak installer. It will walk you through setting up a dual boot system. Usually no problems...... but have a back-up just in case. :)

Glenn

Back