• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting an Amateur Radio

kd5dwy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to figure out the best place to mount my 2M rig in the '87 XJ. Any suggestions?

Has anyone successfully mounted in the center console in front of the shitfer (below the ash tray)? Not sure if there's enough room there...

inside the console, or next to it? I saw a government XJ with 3 or 4 radios mounted to the side of the console, worked pretty well. it's also a common spot for CB radios. I don't think that there is room inside/under the console for one to fit, it gets warm anyhow, so I don't think you'd want it there.

The guy that I got my Chero from said that a small radio fit there, and the wiring is still all there for that, i don't know if I'd realistically put one there though, not without opening up the bottom of that bin first...

MY Ft7800 is mounted to the dash panel underneath and to the left of the steering wheel

kd5dwy said:
I'm trying to figure out the best place to mount my 2M rig in the '87 XJ. Any suggestions?

Which model of radio is it? If it has a remote faceplate, you could always put the transmitter under the rear seat and run the controls to wherever you want them to be.

casm said:
Which model of radio is it? If it has a remote faceplate, you could always put the transmitter under the rear seat and run the controls to wherever you want them to be.

x2, this is what I am planning on mine.

If you do not have an OHC, you can mount it to the roof between the sunvisors.

CHUGLYxj said:
x2, this is what I am planning on mine.

If you do not have an OHC, you can mount it to the roof between the sunvisors.

One other option I've been considering is mounting the transmitter inside the passenger rear fender - there's not a lot else that can go in there due to space constraints. Of course, it would help if I quit being distracted by other things and actually bought the radio, too ;)

I'm studying for my license too, and I plan to run a 2m in My XJ. I've been periodically checking on eBay, where you can occasionally find police radio mounts removed from wrecked or stripped police cars. They come in a ton of different configurations. I sort of like the ones that mount under, and then come out from under, the side of the center console (so no visible holes are drilled in the floor or the console), then have an upright with the bracket mounted at the top. Some have adjustable height and angle, too. I thought of getting one of these and adapting a slide or quick-detach mount to it, so I can use it. I also thought of modifying one of these where it comes out from under the console (or just building my own base part) to be detachable, so that when not running the radio, the bracket is not in there either, except a small part of the base sticking out from under the side of the center console. My plan is to use one of those police brackets off eBay with my own mods, maybe using parts from camera or GPS mounts for a motorcycle, or possibly a modified part of a Panavise mount.

Just some ideas I've been kicking around.

casm said:

x2 for one radio. If you need a bunch of them, you can get an aftermarket shelf that mounts on the visor mountings and hang the radios off of that. I have one set up to hold five radios (I'm on the Sheriff's emergency communication team).

kd5dwy said:
Has anyone successfully mounted in the center console in front of the shitfer (below the ash tray)? Not sure if there's enough room there.
It is a perfect place for a remote head to be mounted. Even if the whole radio would fit, it would not give adequate ventalation to properly cool your radio.

NZ7K

Back