• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint- ya or nah?

ShoeterMcgav

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Soooo long story short- I have the front axle out doing lower ca mounts amount other things.. ball joints likely need to be done, and I don’t want to half ass the rehabilitation I’m putting into it. SO the question is, are the ball joints HARDER to do with the axle out of the vehicle? Last time I did them on my ZJ it took a TON of force, so I’m worried that it being on jack stands might make the job more of a pita then it already is? Would I be better served to get ee back under the Jeep and do one side at a time like I’ve done previously? Taking advantage of all the steering and suspension already removed is what has me wanting to go at it as it sets.

Thanks for your opinion!

If you're using an impact I'd say there's not much of a difference. If you're putting a breaker bar on the ball joint press and using a lot of leverage, put the axle back under the jeep first to hold it. Just my .02

I've done one or two XJ Ball Joint sets. PITA, till you get the correct angle. I will be trying as you are, to do it outside of the vehicle. I would suggest you get the OTC ball joint set for the
XJ. It is suppose to make it much easier. I do have one, but haven't used it yet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PCS-OTC-...414937?hash=item48d94e0799:g:HgAAAOSwHnpd78Xp

What’s the advantage of that kit? Doesn’t appear to even have the press right?
Last set I did I just rented the kit from autozone, it’s like a 23 piece kit and take it back when you are done. The angled cones are perfect for aligning the ball joint.

I have 2 impacts, but not sure they will be strong enough for the puller I suspect.. I’m sure it’ll be a 4 ft cheater bar situation with all the rust and crud I’ve gotten off the rest of the axle.

Probably better served under the rig and one side at a time. A cheater bar and pry bar might do it on the stands.. but when it undoubtedly rolls off I’ll add to the frustration if something breaks.

FWIW tapping the C with a BFhammer where the the ball joint is being installed/ removed has helped immensely with install and removal. Saw it in a vid once and it no lie helps a TON

Last edited:
If you're using an impact I'd say there's not much of a difference. If you're putting a breaker bar on the ball joint press and using a lot of leverage, put the axle back under the jeep first to hold it. Just my .02

Agreed. Using hand tools its nice to not have the axle flopping around.

Are the spicer ball joints where it’s at? Seems like that’s all I’ve used... same as with ujoints.. doesn’t mean there aren’t other options that are good though?

Yes...they are worth it.

The factory fit is worth it to avoid the headaches of trying to force a crappy splined joint into the axle ear.

IIRC, they aren't even that expensive.

Looks like a solid kit.

Has the sloped or tapered pieces that REALLY help lining things up. Pretty similar to the autozone rental... I might have a go at buying the one you posted, since AZ doesnt have any sets locally, and the set Orielys rents has litetally 6 total pieces. Was a joke

Looks like a solid kit.

Has the sloped or tapered pieces that REALLY help lining things up. Pretty similar to the autozone rental... I might have a go at buying the one you posted, since AZ doesnt have any sets locally, and the set Orielys rents has litetally 6 total pieces. Was a joke

advanced loans a giant set that will have the tapered piece. used it last go around.

10-4, good to know thanks boss

Back