• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ won't stay running

XJspad

NAXJA Forum User
So I am at a loss at this point and I'm sorry if this is addressed in another thread. I can not get my cherokee to stay running, it dies randomly either sitting at a stop light idling or as I'm driving. It all started after I replaced the alternator. Since that I have replaced the cam position sensor, crank position sensor, fuel pump, computer, the ASD relay and fuse, and the negative/ground wire to the battery. In the morning it will start just fine and run but I'll feel a sudden jolt for loss of power or it just dies. This is my daily and for the life of me I cant figure this out, and all I get from the shop I took it to was intermittent loss of signal to the computer which prompted that replacement. Has anyone every gone through this or am I just special

Last month Rightseatsis' 2001 XJ was doing the same thing, a surge just before dying, usually on a turn at an intersection. I did a jiggle the wire test at all the sensors and connectors under the hood and cleaned the grounds at the firewall, block, battery and fender. The last two things I did was replace the CPS, then cleaned the TBI and replaced the Idle Air Control motor. This was about two months ago and it hasn't stalled since. Good Luck.

A coincidence this all happened after replacing the alternator?
Might of disturbed a connector or wiring during the alternator replacement.

Two sensors you didn't mention changing was the Throttle Position and MAP sensors.
The TPS is easy to change if the the two mounting screws aren't seized....ask me how i know.
The MAP sensor can be changed while blind folded.

Another thing to look for are vacuum leaks especially at the throttle body or intake manifold.
I had something similar with my 2000. Turns out there's an unused vacuum nipple on the left side of the intake manifold which is sealed with a rubber cap.
Well that rubber cap must of dried up and fell off creating one hell of a vacuum leak.

As already suggested, always make the most recent repairs or modifications the primary suspect.

Is or was the Check Engine Light ON ?

Throwing random new parts at an undiagnosed problem is seldom successful, and gets expensive real fast.

Are you installing genuine Jeep parts ?

Have you determined if the stalling is an electrical/computer issue, or a lack of fuel issue ?

Did you Load Test the alternator before installing ? Are all the connections under the hood clean and tight, and all the wires and wire connectors free from corrosion ? Any bent or pushed back wire pins in the wire plugs ?

Have you tested the fuel pressure ?

A faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor would be the primary suspect for random stalling.

Seems to me you need to find a more capable and Jeep experienced shop.

Confirm solid ground and battery connects. Check alternator connects and that you got the right size/output/type.

Recently serviced my 98 for a run to Barnwell. Wouldn't stay running while trying to bleed brakes. Would fire up with a little gas pedal while cranking but needed gas to keep running. After a couple minutes would run on it's own till I shut it down. Was prepared to drop tank and work on fuel pump. Found my battery connects were loose.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back