• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock recomendations for 2000 XJ - 1.5" lift

nodakor

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport that I have replaced the spring -
Rancho RS44148 rear and OME 2930 which would put the lift at around 1.5 inches.
I need shocks and have been looking at Bilstein 5100 or Rancho RS7000MT.
Bilsteins are available for 0" lift or 2"-3" lift. Not sure which would be best.
The Ranchos for front are only available for 0" lift. Rancho rears are available for 0"-3" lift.
Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

I have been Rancho 9000's for over 20yrs and they come in any length you want.

Bilstein tend to on the much firmer than stock side of the scale, and I don't ever buy anything Rancho, at all.

I have had excellent performance on pavement and off-road from DoetschTech DT3000 and BDS shocks.

Bilstein tend to on the much firmer than stock side of the scale, and I don't ever buy anything Rancho, at all.

I have had excellent performance on pavement and off-road from DoetschTech DT3000 and BDS shocks.

I don't know why you would say that? They have adj valving and a lifetime warranty(only replaced 1 in 20yrs). I love them to death and have tried all the others.

I am doing a similar lift. I went with a KYB Monomax for the front. It was for a YJ or TJ. I bought those from my local NAPA for about $50-60 each. For the rear, I could not find a KYB Monomax, that would fit. Iron Rock Offroad has some shocks on closeout. I think $15 each. That have/had two such shocks on sale. The ones with the shorter ext and compressed lengths are the ones I bought. I did buy additional hardware, but the delivered shocks did have bushings etc. I have not installed any of this. Also, I would suspect the KYB has their regular shocks at a length. Try buying ones with the silver color, as they are made in Japan. Suppose to be a bit better than the black ones.

All I sold at my store were KYB's and Bilstein's, back in the day I had 24 Bilstein's on my class 1 car!

I do have 5100 Bilstiens on a '98. Yes, a bit stiff. I do not know on the 4300s. Suppose to be a bit milder. I was looking for Doetsch shocks, but could not find a vender for 2" lift. IRO was the only vender, and 3" up I could find.
I did have a set of Ranchos on my MJ, the cheap set. OK, but they did not last. Some favor the mid grade ones.
The KYB MonoMax are beefy. With one internal bump stop. I think compressed. Way beefier than my Bilstein 5100s. I don't know if that equals longevity or not.
From the IRO website, the Doetch have two internal bump stops.

I bought a set of kyb monomax for the front of my dodge 3500. They ended up on the xj and they feel great.
I have bilstein 5100 on the front of the dodge and been unimpressed with them in that application. Probably wont buy 5100s again.

I looked at some websites, Rusty's and Bilsteins for some specs.
Rusty's had the front listed for 2-3 inch lifts.
(collapsed) 14-64 to 24.54 (ext)
Rear 2 14.17 -23.07

Stock was Frt 13.06-21.05
Rear 12.91-20.58

Bilstein Frt 2-3 24-185622 13.58 to 22.09

Rear 2-3 24-185639 13.68 to 21.85

When I order a set for my 4.5 lift, the dealer sent me 5-6 inch shocks. Don't know if this helps. Looks good to me. Maybe Ralph or TM can comments.

Nodakor,
You posted this ? on another Jeep Board. The person who replied is who I bought my Bilstein shocks from. I have purchase other items from him. He is good to deal with. I'd take his info as good info. I also bought my rear springs from him. I went with stock type 'Up Country'. I did look into the springs you went with. My decision was more about $$. I went with 2" front springs from IRO. I hope you give a review when you get yours going. I did or do not see a lot of offerings for 1.5 to 2" rear springs. Rancho, OME, and the stock 'Up Country'. There may be a few more. Usual offerings are AAL, extended shackles.

Back