• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What year model AW4's are compatible with a '97 cherokee

the TCU changed between the 1996 and 1997 model years. The input/output shafts may be different spline counts around 91-92 but I forget - someone who knows more than me will probably show up and answer that one definitively. Also 2wd vs 4wd ones are different because of the tailshaft housing, you can change them over but it's easier to just get the right one in the first place. Other than that I think they're at least compatible.

EDIT: also, I think they're compatible across TCU changes (the mechanical portion anyways), pretty sure you just need to use the TCU for your model year, the tranny *should* be the same unless I'm blatantly wrong.

I think 97/98 was when the tranny sensors changed. A front input speed sensor was added (does you're have a sensor on the drivers side, mid-way up near the bellhousing?). The rear sensor also changed from 1 pulse per rev to 4 pulses per rev.

Based on your other thread, I believe you are doing a 2wd to 4wd changeover and have a xfer case from a ZJ. Check the spline count on the input shaft to make sure its 23-splines.

The 93 should be a 23-spline output like the 97. Being close to the cutoff when the sensors changed, I'd want to verify that the sensors were still the old setup. Have a look and see if your's had the added front speed sensor I mentioned.

I have seen writeups of people changing the sensor and rotor between the two setups, but none of them were swapping 2wd to 4wd at the same time.

Or if you're an electronics weenie like myself and Kastein, you can just whip up a gizmo to either multiple or divide the signal as needed. :} I have a bit of added electronics to change the 4-pulse/rev down to 1-pulse/rev so I can use a 99 AW4 with an 89 TCU. I wanted the challenge instead of trying to find the right TCU. (yeah, I know I'm a nerd at times)

I swapped a 93 xj auto with tc into my 97 2wd.. I left the TCU alone but had to splice the 972wd pigtail onto the 93's because they are different.. Other than that I had no problems..I occasionally get a check engine light signal but it comes and goes and was there before i swapped to 4wd anyway.. something about transmission counter multiplier or something..Either way it will work..

I swapped a 93 xj auto with tc into my 97 2wd.. I left the TCU alone but had to splice the 972wd pigtail onto the 93's because they are different.. Other than that I had no problems..I occasionally get a check engine light signal but it comes and goes and was there before i swapped to 4wd anyway.. something about transmission counter multiplier or something..Either way it will work..

Thanks a ton! just what I wanted to hear!

Back