• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

The ability to hold a gear on a grade is the biggest advantage IMO. The stick OD ratio is .73 while the 4L80E OD ratio is .75. Pretty much the same. It comes down to the rear end ratio as far as better mileage. Mark's Sub is geared at 3.73, my truck is 4.10. He will see better mileage over the road as well as lower RPMs. He may have to run out of OD to save the trans though, not sure.

One thing that kinda sucks is that you lose your boost when you shift versus an auto that keeps constant boost.
I haven't had a problem losing boost on shifts. On the other hand, as long as the clutch is engaged and the transmission in gear, you've always got a locked drivetrain.

taught the wifey to drive our International grain truck (late 70's cab over..it is sweet!)this afternoon. I was proud of her, she did not kill it at all and made it through the afternoon w/o any problems...

would be afraid to send her to the elevator in it though...she might get pissed off and have to whoop some guys ass for whistling at her!! :D

I don't trust my jeep to take the abuse that my wife would give to the driveline if I taught her how to drive a stick. Anybody got an old Geo metro I could teach her on.

Parakeet

I don't trust my jeep to take the abuse that my wife would give to the driveline if I taught her how to drive a stick. Anybody got an old Geo metro I could teach her on.

Parakeet

If you were closer you could have at my Accord, worst case I'm only out $300 :)

My first stick-shift was a 2005 GTO. Fun car to learn on.

I learned on an 88 Amigo...

She was trying to sell it, I was trying to... well you can guess.

So I said sure, I'll test drive it.

Hopped in, fired it up, and oops: three pedals.

I figured it out and taught myself, on the spot, with her watching, rather than admit I couldn't drive a stick...

Robert

(No, I didn't get any. But I didn't buy the 'zuzu either, so I didn't invest too much...)

I learned in a camanche, cant remeber the year, it was a spor "T" truck. It said it on the side. lol Dads ol truck with the iron duke in it. That thing would never die.

Side note.
Oil filter adapter on the jeep started pukein. Thats this weeks project.

I am so ashamed..I learned in an Isuzu pick up...that was a low-rider :D

I am picturing it in my head now... did the hubcaps spin when you stopped?

'86 mazda 323 and an '87 ford aerostar.

You either learned on a stick or you didn't drive at my house.

Now I like that rule! I wish they made kids learn how to drive stick in driver's education. Personally I feel that I pay more attention and drive better when I have something to "do" instead of just hitting the gas.

YO son! You gotta think about my age...we did not have "spinner" as you know them back in my day..the spinners we had were known by some as "knock offs". They were a little 3 bladed spinner that was in the center of your wheel, and if you were cool enough you had the ones that were angled...all of which did not spin at all. I was rollin' the big azz 15's w/ some low-pro 50 series tires on them......man, this is just embarassing to even recall, let alone mention :D I am sure some pics would be funny about now, but no digital cameras back in those days either....

Now I like that rule! I wish they made kids learn how to drive stick in driver's education. Personally I feel that I pay more attention and drive better when I have something to "do" instead of just hitting the gas.

But can you imagine all those teenage girls trying to drive a stick and text on their phones at the same time? I think my jeep would be needing a lot more armor

Gahh.......my commute in this morning just plain sucked. Light snow early this morning, and the roads were a little slick. GET THE aitch-ee-double-hockey-sticks out of the hammer lane if you're not keeping up.

The new 15,000th post

My '66 was 3 on the tree, no syncros. I figure if you can drive that, you can drive pretty much anything smaller than a big truck.

Back