• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace A/C core at the same time as heater core?

maxbraketorque

NAXJA Forum User
I finally need to replace the heater core. I know many how-to's recommend or at least toss out the idea of replacing the A/C core at the same time, but is it really needed? I don't hear much about corrosion within A/C systems, and I worry that a replacement A/C core will be lower quality than the OEM A/C core.

No, but did you get a copper core heater, that's way more important because it's a ton of work to do.

I replaced my evaporator about 12 years ago, and did the heater core at the same time. Had I not done so, I'm pretty sure it would have sprung a leak 3 months afterwards. Living in Phoenix, the heater isn't all that important, but still. I used NAPA for both, working fine 12 years hence. Haven't had to recharge the AC in that time, either.

I replaced my evaporator about 12 years ago, and did the heater core at the same time. Had I not done so, I'm pretty sure it would have sprung a leak 3 months afterwards. Living in Phoenix, the heater isn't all that important, but still. I used NAPA for both, working fine 12 years hence. Haven't had to recharge the AC in that time, either.

Thanks. Maybe I'll do the evaporator as well.

Back