• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The 25,000 mile oil change... are you serious ???

KPTHEMP

That's Me
NAXJA Member
found this while browsing craigslist... all i can think is WTF ?

you better get a written warranty with this...

http://clarksville.craigslist.org/pts/1234355044.html

ad reads...
"If you want to save money on oil changes then you should be using Amsoil! You can run Amsoil in your car engine for 25,000 miles. Thats right, I said 25,000 miles. It is suggested that you change your oil filter at 12,500 miles. So for around $60 you can get 6 quarts of oil and two oil filters. That is for most applications. Of course the price will vary depending on your vehicle. If you want more details then email me at [email protected] and visit www.amsoil.com"

i think ill just keep to my 3,000 mile interval, thank you very much

I have actually seen this stuff in action and it works .But it is also expensive around 15 to 20 dollars a quart and filters are 20 to 40 dollars .I saw it used in a 18 wheeler he went 60k between oil changes and only changed the filters .When they disassembled the engine there was very little wear on the bearing and cylnders

Does that take into account the deep water crossings that go terribly wrong???

I routinely go 8-10K between oil changes with Mobil1 synthetic. 3K oil changes are based on oil 40+ years ago, and oil has come a long ways in that period. 25K isn't that much of a stretch, just add a quart when you change the filter, as that's about what it takes to fill it back up. Oil doesn't wear out, it just gets dirty. Figure out a way to keep it clean and you could theoretically run it indefinately.

Consider the source when you're getting advice from the guy that changes your oil about oil changes. Of course he wants you to think 3K is best.

I run synthetic in my wife's Verona for 15K without any problems - saves bux.

Not only has oil come a long way, but know that oil itself never really "wears out" or "breaks down" - the problem is that the additives break down, and oil collects gasoline from blowby and water from condensation, then forms sludge.

Used to be, you could get "re-refined" oil without much looking - and I used to use it in everything. I don't know what they're doing with engine oil now, but you can't find the re-refined stuff anymore...

Damn.

You need to go old school like me. I have approximately 80k miles on my stroker without an oil change since the breakin. I run a Frantz toilet paper oil filter. I replace the roll of TP every 1k or so. I add just enough to compensate for the filter and minor leaks. I have been running these since the early 60's and my dad ran them a long time before that.

www.wefilterit.com

I run Valvoline DuraBlend

You need to go old school like me. I have approximately 80k miles on my stroker without an oil change since the breakin. I run a Frantz toilet paper oil filter. I replace the roll of TP every 1k or so. I add just enough to compensate for the filter and minor leaks. I have been running these since the early 60's and my dad ran them a long time before that.

www.wefilterit.com

DuraBlend - isn't that that "half-synth" oil?

I think the devil is in the details. There are guys that hare going even longer between oil changes on diesels and they are harder on oil than gas motors because of the soot that gets in the oil and the oil temperatures that they run. The solution to that is a bypass filter system. It filters down to 2 microns. You can't filter that small with a regular filter setup. It won't flow enough and would clog too soon. I know the oil is formulated different, but I don't see why you couldn't do it with a gas motor too. For the record, I would change the filter more often (no more than every 3k) and I wouldn't be using Amsoil, but that is a personal opinion.
-Aaron

The Frantz filter is a bypass filter and it filters down to .5 microns. If you pull the dipstick, the oil is about as clear as it comes out of the bottle.

DuraBlend is a half synthetic blend. It is quite a bit cheaper and has worked well for me. By the way, have you checked out the price of engine oil in the last 6 months or so. DAMN

interesting input so far, i just wouldnt want to run a filter or oil that long and if you drive the miles like i do, maybe 3,000 to 5,000 thousand a year you could potentially go several years with out changing the filter or oil.

ok the oil might not break down but mine turns black every 3kmi and i know throwing a new filter on wont make the oil magically new again, i guess better safe than on the side of the road with seized engine, ive seen people with new cars and 50kmi that didnt know the oil had to be changed

If you are only driving 3-5k per year, I would definately run synth. The big problem with dino oil is the sulphur. It mixes with humidity/water and forms H2SO4 aka sulphuric acid. That caused the oil breakdown and sludge to form. The biggest thing going for synth is no sulphur.

I usually change the oil in mine with valvoline high milage (3000-3500 mile interval). But it's pricey! I just bought 2 oil changes and 2 air filters and some other stuff and it was like 130 bucks! Just for routine maintenance on 2 jeeps! C'mon!
Maybe I can extend my oil change intervals as I don't beat the engine and never take it above 3200 rpms

I change mine every 3000 miles, on the dot. mobil 1 synthetic, mobil 1 filter. change the filter everytime i change the oil. could i go longer without changing, most likely...but i like the peace of mind. im not gentle on the gas driving on the street, and with 4wheeling too, i figure the engine will be happier be fresh oil every 3k miles.

NAPA high mileage (manufactured by Valvoline); Change every 4500/Filter-NAPA Silver every other. I got the heap with 207000 on the OD and it now has 254000. It knocked for 1-2 seconds at start up when I got it, it does the same thing now, but not as often.

DuraBlend - isn't that that "half-synth" oil?

The Frantz filter is a bypass filter and it filters down to .5 microns. If you pull the dipstick, the oil is about as clear as it comes out of the bottle.

DuraBlend is a half synthetic blend. It is quite a bit cheaper and has worked well for me. By the way, have you checked out the price of engine oil in the last 6 months or so. DAMN

ACTUALLY....Although I am NOT affiliated with the Valvoline company specifically, we do use their products at our shop.....I just got back from a very long meeting tonight and I learned something that a lot of people are confused on (I was myself in fact)!

There are oil manufacturers that have "semi-synthetic" oils and those are required by federal law to have a 6% minimum synthetic blend in them.

To be labeled as a "Synthetic-Blend" they have to have a minimum of 24% synthetic blend.

Although none of the oil companies publicly release the actual % (see below) of blend in their "blend" oil products, Valvoline DID tell us that they guarantee that all of their products are at least 10% higher than the federal law.

This being said, it is safe to say that there are not many if any at all, oil companies that have half-synthetic, synthetic blends.

Now, as our Valvoline rep explained to us tonight, none of the oil companies release the actual % in their blended oils because it would be a never ending competition, if Valvoline said they have 30% then someone would come out and say they had 35% and so on and so forth.

Now, something else I've learned is that Mobil is actually in litigation right now (not publicly known) because on some of the motors that have the Mobil 1 logo, they've had problems and have been proven that it's due to the oil. After a bunch of oil analysis' being done, they've found that Mobil 1 is not all it's cracked up to be!

Also, I found out that even the cars that have the Mobil 1 logo on them, it is NOT a requirement...BY LAW, a manufacturer cannot require use of a certain brand of product, UNLESS they pay for it themselves....it is only a reccomendation. Now, they CAN require the oil to meet specific specifications, but NOT brands!!

Anyways, food for thought, hope I've been at least somewhat helpful....now, on that note, with everything I've said, I will be honest and say that I do not currently use Valvoline products on my own vehicle....but at least now you know the facts.

at least now you know the facts.

Sorry, but I don't take a Valvoline rep's word as "facts". He's a salesman, he's there to promote his product. I would recommend taking everything he said with a grain of salt, particularly his points about Mobil 1. I'll let you do the research and find out if it's true. :D

The part about the industry standards and percentages on synthetics and blends is interesting though. Frankly I don't believe his BS about them not releasing the data due to it creating a competitive market. Competition is what makes markets thrive. It's probably more a matter of the oil companies not wanting to reveal that they've been hosing us with low grade synthetics and blends, so thus far they've been able to avoid having to release the data. Just one skeptic's opinion. :wave1:

Last edited:

www.wefilterit.com

Old Man, do you run one of these on your XJ too? If not, what's your oil & filter of choice there?

Sorry, but I don't take a Valvoline rep's word as "facts". He's a salesman, he's there to promote his product. I would recommend taking everything he said with a grain of salt, particularly his points about Mobil 1. I'll let you do the research and find out if it's true. :D

The part about the industry standards and percentages on synthetics and blends is interesting though. Frankly I don't believe his BS about them not releasing the data due to it creating a competitive market. Competition is what makes markets thrive. It's probably more a matter of the oil companies not wanting to reveal that they've been hosing us with low grade synthetics and blends, so thus far they've been able to avoid having to release the data. Just one skeptic's opinion. :wave1:

Actually, SHE's not a salesman...I work for Goodyear and we have a 5 year contract with Valvoline....so she has no need to try and sell us on stuff...we're already buying it for the next 5 years regardless....she is a representative only!

As far as the industry standards, why would you not believe it? You research for yourself and see if you can find a company that publicly realesed the ACTUAL percentage of synthetic's blended in their oil. They cannot "hose" us with low grade blend's, that's why there's a federally mandated law that says what percentage they HAVE to be in order to be labeled as a blend.

Last edited:
Back