• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red XJ Classic Build Thread

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
Since I no longer have an XJ, I will live vicariously through work.

This is an 8 day buildup, I used 8 working days to go from a completely stock 96 classic to what you see here. It was 100% untouched with 132K on the odometer and some RV flat towing hookups on the front.

The best part was, its all our product. Everything was 100% Warrior Product, including suspension, so the wheels and tires were the only thing I had to source. Well, actually the tires were all. The wheels were sitting in the rafters under a few inches of dust.

Started with the pain in the ass part, fitting the tube doors. Also got the roof rack installed while it was short and unlifted. I totally forgot to take an all stock before photo too, woops.

143_0023.jpg

143_0024.jpg

143_0025.jpg

143_0026.jpg

Next it was time to lift it. This is a Warrior 3" lift kit, with an added spacer up front and a block in the rear, making a net of about 5" of lift total.

143_0162.jpg

143_0165.jpg

I thought the no lift rear shot was neat, haha

143_0167.jpg

All done. It sits really level even though it doesn't look it here.

143_0172.jpg

So now I need tires right? BFG stepped in with a set of their Baja T/A tires in 33x10.50x15. I wasn't able to source wheels quick enough, so out came the old ass Centerline Hellcats that have been in our rafters for a long time. These things looked ridiculous on our TJ, but I think they really work on the red XJ.

143_0173.jpg

So now it is time to move onto finishing our rear bumper prototype.

This matches our front pretty well and is really stout for pulling from those D-Rings. I know how important that is! It is also notched to clear a factory style receiver hitch, which it hides pretty well as you will see in the final pictures.

143_0179.jpg

143_0180.jpg

143_0181.jpg

So now as I am drawing into the last day I am really running down to the wire. Get the rock bar installed, the front bumper and rear bumper came back from powder coat last day!

We also had our plating guy prototype up some XJ Sideplate kits. These will be available as soon as the part #'s get put in the system, and are available powder coated black, or in flat steel.

Then I had to shine it up too. Here are some final pics with the bumpers, hitch, sidebars, sideplates, and lots of wax and tire shine.

Here are the final finished pictures. The two sides are different to display different product. It's like having two palette's to paint on!

143_0185.jpg

143_0186.jpg

143_0187.jpg

143_0188.jpg

This was all finished up on Thursday last week, and started Tuesday the week before. Friday was photoshoot time, so I spent the day in the studio.

Here are some un-prepped studio shots. Once I get the prepped versions back, you'll be amazed to see how sharp they look.

xj18.jpg

xj9.jpg

xj13.jpg

ECKSJAY said:
x2

Next rig needs it in black powdercoat. :)

Yeah I wanted to powder coat the driver side actually, cause we usually do each side differently, but I was outta time. I started the build two Tuesdays ago, and then finished it last Thursday.

IXNAYXJ said:
Oh, I know dude. I just like tossing you crap. :)

-----Matt-----

Oh yeah, I know you live for it.

DrMoab said:
Whats the white powder you have it parked on in the photo shoot?

No white powder, the photo studio is an all white room with rounded floor and ceiling lines, its like being in a bubble. Unfortunately the tires get it dirty every time. They repaint it all the time, must suck!

143_0025.jpg

Something about red, doorless, no lift, and street treads reminds me of the Fantasy Island cars. More like the Aspen in the background, but you get the idea.
10102812A~Fantasy-Island-Posters.jpg

Steve

P.S.

The build looks great. I used to love those Hellcats.

WheelinJR said:
No white powder, the photo studio is an all white room with rounded floor and ceiling lines, its like being in a bubble. Unfortunately the tires get it dirty every time. They repaint it all the time, must suck!
Ah, gotcha, now I look closer at the pic I can see its just black tire marks on a white floor. If you don't look close it almost has texture to it.

Why do you have two completely different rock sliders on it? The driver's side is square-tube with tapered ends, the passenger side round tube that wraps around under the rocker on the ends. And that little step is ridiculous, do people really run something like that?

It is a "nice" looking Jeep, in a very mall-crawlerish way. I'm just curious about the mis-matched nerf sliders.

bizkit - you can find them on warriorproducts.com or retailed on rjroffroad.com in the cherokee section, but as stated earlier, they do not fit late model XJ's.

fubar XJ said:
Why do you have two completely different rock sliders on it? The driver's side is square-tube with tapered ends, the passenger side round tube that wraps around under the rocker on the ends. And that little step is ridiculous, do people really run something like that?

It is a "nice" looking Jeep, in a very mall-crawlerish way. I'm just curious about the mis-matched nerf sliders.
When you're building a Jeep for shows/catalogs/magazines, having two sides is like having two Jeeps to display on.

To be honest I think you could have done better even by mallcrawlin' standards. The rims and tires kill its cool factor..

As far as the tech goes I think alot could have been done better but none of that matters because its a picture rig.

Anyways...</rant>

lancey3 said:
To be honest I think you could have done better even by mallcrawlin' standards. The rims and tires kill its cool factor..

As far as the tech goes I think alot could have been done better but none of that matters because its a picture rig.

Anyways...

Screw you I like the wheels. :moon:

And this wasn't a tech thread, it was a picture thread.

I'll buy those bajas off you when you are done shooting pics of them.......too heavy for general purpose off roading (and not that great for that either)

Back