• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy a hardened cross shaft?

BrentNClemson

NAXJA Forum User
Getting ready to order a LockRight and I'm trying to find somewhere to get a hardened cross shaft for a D44. Tellico4x4.com has Powertrax Zytanium "Performance cross shafts," but it doesn't mention anything about them being hardened. Anyone know of somewhere else to get one, or will this be ok? Thanks.
Brent

BrentNClemson said:
Getting ready to order a LockRight and I'm trying to find somewhere to get a hardened cross shaft for a D44. Tellico4x4.com has Powertrax Zytanium "Performance cross shafts," but it doesn't mention anything about them being hardened. Anyone know of somewhere else to get one, or will this be ok? Thanks.
Brent

Im not sure about this but on the Lockrite manual I think I remember reading that yor can order harder cross shafts straight from them. Can anybody comfirm this? :helpme:

ALL cross shafts are hardened.. a new one can be had at any axle shop or even NAPA... they suggest a new one but thats only neccesary if yours is worn.. i dont know if some shafts are "harder" than others so i cant coment on that... dana/spicer all the way if possible..

mike

The problem with the OEM crosspin in a lockrite situation is that they were not design to handle loads in the same way as spider gears. They deflect a very powerfull force when transfering power. and if one wheel is in the air and the other wheel is wedged and you are in a high torque situation then the shear pressure being applied to one side of the crosspin is very significant. Thats why the Zytanium shaft is included with the no-slip. its designed to handle the shear forces that it can see in offroading.

shouldn't cost more than $20 and shipping...

Back