• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remove AW-4 transmission

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 XJ 4.0 4X4 with the AW-4 auto transmission. I have purchased a remanufactured AW-4 and intend to swap this remanufactured trans with the trans presently in the XJ. I am also removing the 4.0 motor.

Which is better... Remove the 4.0 motor and then remove the transmission... or remove the motor and transmission as a single unit?

Same question on putting the remanufactured transmission back in.

Does anyone know of a good youtube video on this topic or maybe a post here at NAXJA? I've replaced 4.0 motors a few times but never a tranny. Unfortunately I have no lift so I'll have to do the tranny swap with the Jeep on jack stands and crawl under. I have a couple of floor jacks for lowering/lifting the tranny but nothing special. Can do?

Thanks!

A few tips. Remove the crank sensor before separating the engine and trans so you don't damage it. Unbolt the torque converter as well. Make sure the t/c is fully seated on the input shaft before trying to mate them back up so you don't damage the transmissions hydraulic pump.

What year is the replacement trans? Double check compatibility first as there were some changes through the years.
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

I think I'd remove the xfer case, then trans, then motor.

Assuming you have a decent engine hoist my standard has always been remove engine/trans/tcase all as one unit. You may need a ratchet strap from the back of the tcase to the hoist hook to get the tcase high enough to clear the crossmember if you're lifted but it's really not a big deal and all comes out pretty easy that way. May also be annoyed by the starter hanging up on the passenger motor mount frame bracket, but again not a big deal.

Going back in I usually drop the engine and transmission in together, as they are much easier to mate outside the jeep. Then I put the tcase on and the crossmember.

I have probably done it this way a dozen times now. If the engine is coming out, I take it all out. If it is just the tcase or transmission I am doing, I will sometimes do it from under the jeep without pulling the engine.

The only time I have ever pulled only the engine leaving the transmission and tcase in the jeep, I seriously regretted it. Getting them mated back up in the jeep was a severe pain in the rear compared to outside the jeep. Given that the only things I saved time on were the 12 driveshaft bolts, 2 transmission cooler lines, 1 shifter cable, and 8 crossmember and transmission mount bolts plus the tcase shifter, and that I spent probably at least 10x as much time farting around trying to get the engine and transmission lined up in the jeep as I would have pulling those extra parts and putting them back in, I'll never do it that way again.

Back