• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backfire blew up muffler

There's something wrong with your link. It takes me to PB's login page, not your pic.

Your muffler must have been in pretty bad shape to begin with, but it sounds like the ign/cam timing is off!

When in PB, look at the picture. Do NOT copy the URL in your browser. Hover your mouse over the picture and some icons should appear along the bottom. These are all link options. Select the one you want (first one is Copy Direct Link) and paste that into the post.

Are you a paying subscriber to PB?

I do have a PB subscription. I’m doing it from an iPad. I posted one photo from PB, not sure how I did it.

I’m certain it’s a timing issue we’re having now. I used a bore light to see the #1 cylinder reach the top of its compression cycle, but I can’t see any markings on the balancer to make sure we get it to TDC. Any tips or tricks?

It’s running! The timing was 180 degrees off after pulling the distributor. Our original problem with no fuel pump and no spark was the PCM. Now to clean up the wiring harness. My son was doing a happy dance of disbelief when it started. He wants to get back to driving his truck.

I appreciate all the input and advice. I’m sure we’re going to have more questions.

The timing was 180 degrees off after pulling the distributor.

That's a common mistake! A lot of people don't realize that there is 2 TDC's when it comes to ignition timing. While there is only one mark on the crankshaft it can be either TDC(comp) or TDC(exh) and you have verify that as your first step.

I have to laugh because we call my brother in law "180 Ray", in 40yrs he has never got a distributor in correctly the first time!!!

I have to laugh because we call my brother in law "180 Ray", in 40yrs he has never got a distributor in correctly the first time!!!

Yeah, my kid was doubting me. Swore we did it right. I insisted we start from the beginning. Glad we did.

It also helped that I sprayed the marks down with brake cleaner, wiped them down, then indexed the notch in the pulley with a white paint marker.

Now I have to get him a new muffler. Wondering if I should replace the cat too. I’m sure the backfire that killed the muffler didn’t do it any good.

Yeah, my kid was doubting me. Swore we did it right. I insisted we start from the beginning. Glad we did.

It also helped that I sprayed the marks down with brake cleaner, wiped them down, then indexed the notch in the pulley with a white paint marker.

Now I have to get him a new muffler. Wondering if I should replace the cat too. I’m sure the backfire that killed the muffler didn’t do it any good.

Glad you got it working again. I don't think the backfire mess up the cat.
Recently I too re-index my distributor. It was 1 tooth off. Used some white paint on the damper and the timing cover to be able to read it with a timing light when the engine was running. It was about 44 degrees advanced at idle but close to perfect above 2000 RPM for several years.

Why do I always spell recient (recent) the British way only to get flagged by the spell check? :rolleyes:

Back