• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ: First XJ, first build

GreyXJ'00

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all!

As you can tell, yes I am new to the forums! Well i have been using them and searching them for a few months now, but finally have decided to create a post about my own build that i'm going to attempt.

The XJ is a 2000 with Towing package, Chrysler 8.25 rear with 29 spline. Not sure of the gearing.

Here's some fast history on me and this XJ: Sister bought it 3 years ago from dealer, used it as a DD. I bought it from her senior year (this past September) and have started to wheel it since. Got stuck and filled the interior with water up to the brakes, destroyed my ac compressor, horns, carpeting, starter. Didn't go for much mud after that (although it was more like resting the uni-body on the middle section of ruts with tires spinning in the water). Loved the snow we had in NY this past winter, bought several bolt on parts (light bar, brush guard, CB radio) and got other things from Santa (3" RC lift with add a leaf springs, remote start). Bent the brush guard mistaking it as a strong frame point.... and now, went 4x4 recently, got the rear end airborne, and landed.... HARD. Busted lower shock mount right off the axle. This is where I stand now.

SDC13646.jpg

SDC13647.jpg

I have already bought all new brakes (rotors drums pads and shoes) and a new AC Compressor to rid me of the "whine" i get while the jeep is running.

SDC13653.jpg

Now, the good part. I have decided to invest more money into my XJ. Seeing how i'm just 18, and just got a job starting Thursday, this was a difficult decision for me. However, since I do have the funding, and am shipping into the Navy in December, I wanted to fix this Jeep properly. Today i bought a Full Traction 6" Long Arm kit with the Hydro Series shocks. I still need to find the proper SYE, and plan on getting the extended drive shaft (naturally) This is only the start...

The interior is bare

SDC13650.jpg

SDC13651.jpg

Due to that "swimming trip"... So I plan on taking it down to my local Rhino Liner shop and getting the interior Rhino Lined.

I am also planning on getting lockers for both my front and rear diffs, but I am still undecided, and taking suggestions if you have any!

SDC13649.jpg

I would like to run 33"s after my lift, because I don't think I will need aftermarket flares with that size, correct?

I was thinking of buying and installing the Olympic Rock Front Bumper with Hitch, and the matching Grille Guard. For the rear bumper, being a person of uniformity, the Olympic 4X4 Rear Rock Bumper with Tire Swing for my spare.

As for work I have already done, well I installed the 3" RC lift a few months back....
before:
SDC13315.jpg

after:
SDC13317.jpg

Replaced the starter, and the radiator. As stated before brush guard, lightbar, CB, remote start.

Well, now that i'm waiting for my new parts to arrive, I'll be able to keep this post updated with my build, and hopefully get some good knowledge and advice along the way!

typically people run 4.5 to 5 inches of lift for a 35" tire

With trimming 35s can be run on 4.5 to 5 inches of lift but without any trimming 5.5-6.5 are needed for 33s. Older pre 97 XJs can get away with a little bit larger tire size per lift height. The 97+ has to do a good bit of trimming in order to fit lager tires. I put a 3.5" RE lift on my 97 and cleared 31s fine with just a slight bit of trimming. I could have fit 32s but it would have killed my flex. I put on a set a bushwackers with the same lift and now I can run 33s no problem.

I needed flares on mine with 33's. Don't listen to hard to people on tire size to lift. It is your jeep and you will be driving it not them.

interesting build....looking foward to seeing a nice rig when its all done..im running 33s with a 4.5 lift trimming needed like stated above ^^^

I'll keep an eye on this one. As a matter of opinion. I would run her as is until you decide you need a particular mod and upgrade as you break.

Save your pennies as you're wheeling and read, read, read, the tech sections. Every time you're out wheeling check out the XJ's ask owners how they like particular mods that catch your eye. Pay attention to how rigs work on the trail with different mods. There will a lot less regret years down the road.

I'm sure it sounds old and boring... But, focus on safety and longevity. Reinforce the frame rails front to back. Cage it, etc. Your XJ will thank you by lasting years longer.

Edit: looks like a good start and subscribed

I needed flares on mine with 33's. Don't listen to hard to people on tire size to lift. It is your jeep and you will be driving it not them.

Says the guy with 8 inches of lift and 33's. :)

The guy needs to keep in mind that any more than 3" and it gets a LOT more involved. Imo, an XJ with more than about 5" of lift makes for a horrible ride without spending thousands more. Sure, there are people that will disagree but they're wrong. Why go taller when you don't need to?

Last edited:
What is your rate going to be in the Navy, do you know yet? If you end up in the Virginia Beach area there are quite a few guys around here that have XJs. Just got one myself and I found some people on board (currently on deployment) that are gonna help me do some wrenching when we get back.

Alright just got home tonight, picked up my stock fender flares that I had my friend paint up for me (nice flat black), gonna throw them on tomorrow along with removing gunk from that old plastic trim!

Save your pennies as you're wheeling and read, read, read, the tech sections. Every time you're out wheeling check out the XJ's ask owners how they like particular mods that catch your eye. Pay attention to how rigs work on the trail with different mods. There will a lot less regret years down the road.

Will definitely keep that in mind, thank you.

What is your rate going to be in the Navy, do you know yet? If you end up in the Virginia Beach area there are quite a few guys around here that have XJs. Just got one myself and I found some people on board (currently on deployment) that are gonna help me do some wrenching when we get back.

I'm going into the Nuke program and volunteered for sub duty. So after Great Lakes, ill be headed to Charleston for Nuke A schools and Power School etc. I got E-3 due to the nuke program, but I also would have gotten it for 4 years of NJROTC. I ship 20111212, and I can't wait!

EDIT:

I would run her as is until you decide you need a particular mod and upgrade as you break.

To get it to the point where I can wheel it I would need to replace that shock at a minimum. Since I already purchased the new lift, which comes with new shocks (as this one is now bent from me getting out of my 4x4 area, hitting rocks etc) would it not make sense to invest in the SYE, drive shaft, and tires now? So I can wheel it? Just my thoughts on it....

Last edited:
Says the guy with 8 inches of lift and 33's. :)

The guy needs to keep in mind that any more than 3" and it gets a LOT more involved. Imo, an XJ with more than about 5" of lift makes for a horrible ride without spending thousands more. Sure, there are people that will disagree but they're wrong. Why go taller when you don't need to?

don't forget the red one 5'' lift with 31''
when i have money to burn the 33's will go on the red one and 35's on the green, but i rather pay my mortgage and other bills for now.

Last edited:
Well, today I attempted to mount stock fender flares on to their stock mounting brackets, wasn't happening. So I decided to remove said brackets, and mount the flares some other way. Figured i could probably manufacutre some sort of mounting bracket like this http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/state-failed-us-no-flares-so-50571/ , only to my stock flares, not garden trim (although I do appreciate the innovative thinking here...) So I will be stopping at the hardware store tomorrow to get some stuff.

In addition, I attempted to start the Jeep today after letting in sit in my parking spot for approximately 2.5 weeks. Bad idea to let it sit that long. Well something on my belt finally locked up, so on start up i get the lovely LOUD AS HELL screech from the belt, but the car is running. Killed it then opened hood to diagnose, sure enough, fan wasn't spinning and the same for the belt. So I think my A/C compressor finally locked itself up. Tomorrow nice and early ill be buying a new belt, removing the old one, and driving to my friend's house to work on the Jeep. Yes this will be done with the belt off and the shock dangling.

We're gonna remove this shock since the bolts are rounded, replace my A/C compressor, brakes, and weld that perch for the shock back on where it should be. Found out that i have an NP231, any suggestions for SYE kits?

It's alot easier to mount the flares back to the Jeep if you remove the brackets from the Jeep first. Mount the flare to bracket and then mount the flare/bracket assembly to the Jeep.

DOH!

Great tip!
Where were you when I was fighting my flares!?

Back