• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed my Napier Precision fender flares, lots of pics and a couple of vids

larsbc

NAXJA Forum User
I did a write-up and a short video re-cap covering the install of our Napier Precision fender flares.

You can see it all here: http://www.bc4x4.com/pv/xj/napier-flares

Along the way, I also managed to do the classic windshield tank puncture:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSuP9PEKdcM

I'm happy with the flares. They look good and they're very strong. And strength is quite important, especially in the front because once you trim the opening and cut off some of that creased sheet metal, it looses a lot of rigidity. A strong flare restores that stiffness.

Currently the Jeep has a 4.5" lift and 32" tires (that's how it came when I bought it). The plan is to go to 35's with a D44 in front and 8.8 in the back. Haven't settled on the lift, yet. I'm wondering if 4.5" and these flares will be enough to clear the 35's and provide lots of room for articulation. Your thoughts?

Here's a before/after animation from the front:

And here's a before/after animation from the rear:

...lars

Last edited:
Those look pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of the pocket style flares, but those look good.

Also, great idea on the before/after GIF. Great way to show the difference.
(You are going to do something about the front bumper extensions, right? :D )

Edit: Ohh! I've got it! Find one of the Warn hidden winch mounts! Moves the bumper about 1.5" forward. Just adjust it to make the bumper line up with the flare. Everybody would be wondering what factory option package that came with!

Yeah, I hear ya about the bumper trim. The front and rear bumpers are going to get ditched. As for the lift to fit 35's, thanks for the feedback. I'm looking around at long arm 6" lifts.

...lars

Can you still use the under skirting with these flares?
Great question! You can use the under skirting although it gets trimmed, especially across the top of the wheel well. There are suggestions on how to do this with the installation guide. Just email me if you'd like a PDF of the guide.
Doug

Can we get more info on the rear fender flares? I already cut my rear quarters.

Can we get more info on the rear fender flares? I already cut my rear quarters.

Did you open up the rear wheel well or cut N fold the rear quarter panel up and under? Either way we have what you need! Unless you cut way up into the wheel tubs and rebuilt them, our flares will work for you.
Lars did the standard install and if you look at the rear flare install there's a picture with the approximate locations of the bolt holes. That should help with any questions too.

Thanks,
Doug

Back